Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

Monster Fender rig - 400 PS

<< < (9/9)

Granny Gremlin:
I appreciate the clarifications as well, and there are a lot of good points in there, but, I hope you realise that this bit quoted below is a reasonably valid approximation intended for non-techie consumption and not literal interpretation; the point is the given pair of tubes is disabled.  Not a literal standby, but not properly 'on' either.  Reverb will dumb it down like that and it's not invalid if annoying for those who know better.  The rest of the inaccuracies are inexcusable though.

--- Quote from: Psycho Bass Guy on May 04, 2017, 03:07:55 PM --- not using an output on the 400PS does NOT put its respective output tube pair into standby, but shorts it to ground.
--- End quote ---

Again, thanks for the clarification, from those of us who do get the difference.

Psycho Bass Guy:

--- Quote from: gearHed289 on May 05, 2017, 07:04:31 AM ---So the bass and treble are passive in an SVT? And as I'm sure you know, the "ultra lo" switch is much more of a mid cut than it is a bass boost.
--- End quote ---

The SVT was one of, if not the, first amps to feature an active EQ. However, it is only in the midrange. All the other tone controls are passive.

Re: "standby" versus ground shorting- that's the most important thing they got wrong. Fender's use of shorting output jacks to protect tube power sections is well known and there's a big difference between somehow idling the tube, like lifting the cathode ground and removing the drive signal (ala Trace Elliot) and conducting its voltage output to ground.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version