Author Topic: Eruption  (Read 3422 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Eruption
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »
I can assure you that he always plays the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »
Here's Dweezil Zappa with some great memories of his dad, Eddie Van Halen and his performance of "Eruption". This was filmed in Raleigh and I saw this show. He really is a fantastic guitarist.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 07:51:26 PM »
Once you are familiar with the structure of a song, you have the basis for improvisation. How can improvisation be overrated?
If you can improvise, I´m not talking about shredding, but let´s say you are comfy enough to add your own flavor to the music you play,   it´s just a way to show that you take the music/song seriously enough to really check it out.

It´s cute when kids play something difficult, but the trend of being a youtube shredder that can play a short, complex piece of music really fast just stinks...

Depends on what you mean by improvisation. I like it when a player adds his own flavor to a song. I expect it, unless I'm listening to a tribute band. OTOH I dislike unrehearsed off-the-cuff wanking. Actually, dislike is too mild a word. IMHO it's not only overrated, it's usually obnoxious. Not that it bothers me, I never listen to anything like that if I can help it and certainly don't play anything like that. Still scarred from sitting through most of a dreadful Airplane show 44 years ago.

Playing something note-for-note is a skill in itself. Creative? No, but it doesn't pretend to be.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 09:45:52 PM »
Depends on what you mean by improvisation. I like it when a player adds his own flavor to a song. I expect it, unless I'm listening to a tribute band. OTOH I dislike unrehearsed off-the-cuff wanking. Actually, dislike is too mild a word. IMHO it's not only overrated, it's usually obnoxious. Not that it bothers me, I never listen to anything like that if I can help it and certainly don't play anything like that. Still scarred from sitting through most of a dreadful Airplane show 44 years ago.

Playing something note-for-note is a skill in itself. Creative? No, but it doesn't pretend to be.

I tend to agree, with some exceptions, one which I've already mentioned, of course. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 09:40:51 AM »
i agree. live cream was much different than studio cream. after seeing cream's farewell tour in october 68', their studio records seem downright quaint by comparison. "those were the days".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:54:01 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 04:08:05 PM »
Nice Dweezil posting... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...