Author Topic: Eruption  (Read 3421 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Eruption
« on: January 18, 2014, 09:20:35 AM »

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Eruption
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
I know it's supposed to be about the little kid guitar genius.  But I can't listen to it without it reminding me of how much I dislike Van Halen's cover of "You Really Got Me."  David Lee Roth's "singing" just doesn't cut it for me. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »
Was that a... pink... bass... :o ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »
Well, the kid can do Eruption.
Note for note. That's impressive.

But the moment he is challenged to improvise he doesn't have a clue. He doesn't even know what key they're in...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:16:51 PM »
Well, the kid can do Eruption.
Note for note. That's impressive.

But the moment he is challenged to improvise he doesn't have a clue. He doesn't even know what key they're in...

He'll also most likely lack the creative talent to compose much of anything as the years progress.  I could be wrong, but I doubt it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 04:03:04 PM »
I've never been a fan of Van Halen and especially not of their cover of "You Really Got Me." But the kid's skill is impressive, even if those are the only two songs he knows.

Improvisation is overrated IMHO. Knowing the structure is everything.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:12:56 PM »
I've never been a fan of Van Halen and especially not of their cover of "You Really Got Me." But the kid's skill is impressive, even if those are the only two songs he knows.

All I know is I'm terrible at improvisation.  I'm pretty good at making excuses why I'm not good at it, though.  

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »
... He doesn't even know what key they're in...

The equivalent of "Monkey see, monkey do...?"

Impressive, but well and truly, er... ok, takes balls to get up on stage and do it... perhaps he should now learn the art of improvisation and not how to create an almost perfect replica of something created before he was born...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »
That fits for a Steel Panther show. Their schtick and the kid's are one and the same. I know they all can play, but if I want to hear the 80's, they made albums.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 04:46:19 AM »

Once you are familiar with the structure of a song, you have the basis for improvisation. How can improvisation be overrated?
If you can improvise, I´m not talking about shredding, but let´s say you are comfy enough to add your own flavor to the music you play,   it´s just a way to show that you take the music/song seriously enough to really check it out.

It´s cute when kids play something difficult, but the trend of being a youtube shredder that can play a short, complex piece of music really fast just stinks...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »
i guess no one here was a kid once. improvisation skills are always a good thing. in fact i can't imagine anyone who has played for years not being able to.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
Some of my favorite guitar solos are improvised.  Eddie Van Halen did 2 takes on Michael Jackson's Beat It.  I think he nailed it.  Larry Carlton on Kid Charlemagne.  Steve Howe on Starship Trooper. 

I think kids should learn the basics first.  I've played in many bands where we'd audition a young gun guitar player who could shred but not hold down a basic rhythm. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 01:44:16 PM »
Whether a guitarist can come up with an unrehearsed off-the-cuff brilliant solo (often without realizing it) or not defines for me whether he is just good or adorable. I admire improvisation whether it is with Miles Davis, Hendrix, Blackmore or Mark Knopfler. It has little to do with technique (brilliant classical-trained musicians can't improvise for the hell of it - I've seen them freeze when you say "play a solo in A minor"), Neil Young hasn't won any guitarist contests, but he can improvise. That sense of abandonment ... Or that analytical ear of Miles Davis ... I'm nowhere in any of those leagues, of course, but I have sufficient vocabulary these days to get through most situations a bassist might have to face in a rock setting. But I think there is a reason I did not become a lead guitarist. But I love playing with good improvisers. It's a very large part of Deep Purple's charm for me, no other band of their fame and commercial impact had as much improvisation live (and not just from guitar, but also from organ and drums) as they did.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:40:21 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
My favorite improvisation was always what Cream did.  Although I still listen to Hendrix more than them, and maybe like him better, I do love listening to live Cream.  I realize some people don't and that's understandable.  Tom Hamilton told of seeing them in Boston when he was a teenager.  Although his favorite band, he said they took the jamming too far.  I think Hendrix did, too, though.  In his case, he also had a timekeeper in Noel Redding.  With Cream, sometimes it's like no one was really keeping time.  Still, I can listen to those live Cream performances over and over.  This is music I truly love. 

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 03:02:06 PM »
Neil Young hasn't won any guitarist contests, but he can improvise.

Just because he plays out of tune doesn´t mean he can improvise :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:40:31 PM by uwe »