Author Topic: hipshot not hot  (Read 3113 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: hipshot not hot
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 06:41:40 PM »
i guess i'm gonna have new holes made, i'm sick of no bridge fitting the stud spacing

Did it actually have a 2 point on it when you got it?  Because if not, then someone may have already tried to change out the bridge with something else.  Measure the stud spacing and I can check it against the oversized Schaller 460L on my EB3 (had to drill new post holes for that, but it was sanded to the wood after a fixed neck joint break with no bridge at all so no biggie).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »
I'm just going by this page. If yours is pre-1973 with the factory original 2-point, and it doesn't fit, then you ought to at least contact Hipshot directly before filling and drilling new holes.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 10:03:36 PM »
I've spoken with Hipshot - real live humans answer the phone and are helpful.  Worth a try.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 03:34:32 AM »
How much narrower/wider is that freak spacing compared to the Supertone spacing?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 03:25:57 PM »
yes, it had the "Evertilt" when i bought it. (i sold it to someone here) i also tried a Schaller a few years back (also didn't fit) the spacing on the Hipshot is off by a tiny tiny bit. but still doesn't fit. i tried calling Hipshot but was on hold for so long and i was at work i had to hang up twice. i'll try calling them again.

'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 03:45:18 PM »
The Schaller came in 2 sizes! Anyway, not exactly a viable option anymore due to habving been disco'd years ago.

Anyway, if it is off by just a tad could it be simply due to the Evertilt's namesake tendency causing the bushing to become crooked in the body just a bit, making the spacing off by slightly more and more the higher the posts are set? Hope that made sense.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »
Did they sell you the right Supertone? Perhaps they sold you a Supertone replacement for the three point bridge instead of the Supertone for the two point / Evertilt?

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
no, i bought one of each. so i have both versions, i'm gonna put the other on my Ripper
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES