Author Topic: Another Guild reissue  (Read 9254 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Another Guild reissue
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »
  Honestly they did such a nice job on it how could you screw up something so basic?

Inebriated CNC programmer???
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2014, 10:33:09 AM »
I've read before that f-holes lower the resonant frequency. Supposedly this can reinforce certain lower mid frequencies and make them more prominent than those frequencies above and below. Probably a generalization.

As for the crooked bridge, you have to wonder if it was a CNC programming error or a workmanship error. Unless the originals were also off-kilter....

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2014, 11:04:52 AM »
I've read before that f-holes lower the resonant frequency. Supposedly this can reinforce certain lower mid frequencies and make them more prominent than those frequencies above and below. Probably a generalization.

As for the crooked bridge, you have to wonder if it was a CNC programming error or a workmanship error. Unless the originals were also off-kilter....

I think f-hole effect is mediated by many of the other variables I mentioned before.  I think, from experience, the bigger the box/body and the fewer the impediments like bracing/blocks, the more the f-holes do enhance lower frequencies.  I also think wood choice and pups really play a large role as well.

Yep, putting two screws into a body, probably made by a CNC machine in the first place, hardly seems difficult at all!  We'll see what they have to say, I sent my email to them.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2014, 07:35:46 AM »
FYI, took the new M-85 out of the case and played it yesterday and no issues with the string popping out of the saddle.  The bridge is still a hair crooked, but not enough to cause any string issues.  It shows that bridge placement might just be by hand?  If so, they need someone with a better eye!   :o
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:25:22 AM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2014, 08:40:40 AM »
Did some exploratory surgery today.  The bass is well constructed for sure.  The new Bi-Sonic looks just like the old one I've had in vintage Guilds.  The copper stripe might be new, I don't recall that part.  It sounds good too!  Mine will get a test run at practice tonight.

I got to see the hole in the lower portion block for passing the controls through, so I'll steal that idea for my builds and skip the control plate in the back.  They also use a quick connect plug for the pup, that's a nice touch and probably makes assembly faster, too.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »
That's a clever way of doing it. Beats having to have a separate control cavity on a semihollow.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »
They even put a hold-down in the cavity to secure the wires.  Nice.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »
That's a clever way of doing it. Beats having to have a separate control cavity on a semihollow.

I agree!  I hate routing control cavities anyway!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »
They even put a hold-down in the cavity to secure the wires.  Nice.

How about that Al?  Nice touch for sure!

BTW, took the bass to practice tonight and I was wowed.  The single pup did a super job.  The Mesa rig loved it.  Nice clean clear tone, good freq response, the bass design, pup and stock round strings worked well together.  The was no mushiness or indistinct output from the bass.  The pup is not a cheap knockoff.  I was impressed with it.  The neck was very easy to play and I enjoyed it.  The thicker body is a little odd under your right arm, but I was able to rest my forearm on it comfortably the entire time.  The neck is out there a bit since it's mounted high on the fretboard and the big butt tuners make it a bit neck heavy.  However, I still like it a lot!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2014, 05:19:04 AM »
A follow up:  I am keeping the bass and will gig with it in the future.  I like it that much. 

Also, I got a really nice note back from Guild's customer service rep who gave me info about taking the bass to an approved service center for a fix.  It has a one-year warranty.  I thanked him, but won't take it in, the second one is fine.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2014, 02:58:52 PM »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2014, 04:42:51 AM »
Fender just sold Guild:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/17565/fender-sells-guild-to-u-s-builder-cordoba-music/

Wow, that's a surprise.  I wonder if they'll keep the MIK line of instruments.  If not, I see sky high prices in the future.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2014, 07:36:41 PM »
Wow, that's a surprise.  I wonder if they'll keep the MIK line of instruments.  If not, I see sky high prices in the future.

I know the press release says they'll continue to make Guilds in the US, but most Cordoba guitars are imports. They make everything from import $99 beginner specials to several thousand dollar US handmades. They will make Guild's US acoustic line in Oxnard but it would surprise me if they dropped all the import Guilds. OTOH it wouldn't shock me if they dropped the solidbodies and semihollows, wherever made. Those are what we see as bassists, but the acoustics have been by far the biggest part of Guild's line for years.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »
You may be right Dave.  We'll see.  Maybe the M 85 RIs will be more collectible in 20 years!