Author Topic: Let's welcome the low watt guitar amp movement!  (Read 5772 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Let's welcome the low watt guitar amp movement!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 05:29:49 PM »
The pastor is the lead guitar player and the first one I've EVER encountered who doesn't overplay ANYTHING. He's got a respectable effects setup with pedals into a newer Fender 1600 amp and can play great- and he's been playing his Black Epi LP, so we match. He's a bit older than I am, not by much, just enough that our tastes in music are different. He's more into 70's- 80's AOR and classic rock, and I'm from the pissed off school of music informed by Motown and never forgetting that I'm smack dab in the middle of the East Tennessee mountains.

After practice today, we started jamming on old Van Halen tunes. I stand with him and the drummer on one side of the stage and the praise and choir leader stand on the other with (plugged into the PA) acoustic guitars and the piano. My bass fills the room and provides the glue for the drums and guitars and is never more than a single click (Trace used stepped pots) on the input gain or master volume away from being perfect and still is very touch sensitive. (Of course my "touch" is just a smidge heavy to start with.) I'm not in the PA, but when I went direct before I brought in my amp, it wasn't awful, but I don't want to mess up their monitor mix, which works right now. Did I mention that I LOVE the drummer? First cymbals I've never needed earplugs to be around!

It's funny; I've played hundreds of shows with never a tingle, but playing in church makes me nervous like nobody's business. I've already pissed off God enough as it is! ;)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »
Playing in church is very different.  Your audience is, hopefully, not drunk, and they are paying attention.

One of the first times I rehearsed with my church band, the other bass player was running old Alice Cooper songs.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 06:23:35 PM »
All my bands have followed the Black Sabbath mantra: if the audience is too drunk to appreciate what you're playing, play at a volume that will force them into submission. I've played in church before, but it was a VERY rural, backwoods church where you were only allowed to play country chords...and time was just a magazine.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
that won't work for what i do. plus i love the "intimidation" factor. i want the other bands to be scared silly.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 04:39:54 PM »
I'm glad somebody else got that.

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 08:30:26 AM »
A propos of the topic

Ya'll'd probably enjoy "17 Watts: the first 20 years of British rock guitar" by Brit session man and bass player Mo Foster.

http://www.amazon.com/17-Watts-British-Musicians-Stories/dp/186074267X

The title comes from the shock and awe inspired by a 17 watt amp someone bought in the early 60s and no one could imagine needing that much power.  The book is a riot to read. Foster is full of stories about the early days  and he's just having fun telling them. He's not out to dish dirt.

Track it down if you can. Your library can probably get a copy for you.
Dyslexics untie!

drummer5359

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:51 PM »
This is the clip that I meant to link to before.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd.
But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."