Author Topic: Badass Bass II questions  (Read 5996 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Badass Bass II questions
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 08:25:46 AM »
Activators might not work for every style but they'd be killer for prog :)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »
Activators might not work for every style but they'd be killer for prog :)
I don't know, I think they may actually work for many if not most styles - I'm finding this to be my go-to bass - with the P-pup & filter set low I can get an almost flatwound sound, middle filter settings give that split-coil P-pickup bark, both pups equal and filter set mid to high I can get anywhere from Jazz Bass to Ric to Alembic - IMHO of course!  8)

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »
The transformation is complete! Finally cleaned off the carport roof and snapped a few outdoor shots:

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 08:29:25 PM »
I don't know, I think they may actually work for many if not most styles - I'm finding this to be my go-to bass - with the P-pup & filter set low I can get an almost flatwound sound, middle filter settings give that split-coil P-pickup bark, both pups equal and filter set mid to high I can get anywhere from Jazz Bass to Ric to Alembic - IMHO of course!  8)

Oh for sure, my Ibanez is by far my most versatile bass. For about 16 years it was my ONLY bass, and I got by pretty well :)

Now though, I find that I usually play either my les Paul or my Greco thunderbird.  Both of those have a distinctive resonant growl that I just can't get from the Ibanez, and that records exceptionally well for the kind of rock I'm playing these days.
And I love those basses' direct sound; but the activators direct to a board sound way too forward and too sterile to me without going through an amp and preferably miking a tweeterless cabinet.

But I'll never sell the Ibanez. It does things they can't touch... it's like my childhood home bass... and besides I've made it so weird looking that nobody but me would ever love it. ;D

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 07:54:56 AM »
I've been kind of wanting Activators for my Ric since I bought my Alembic Distillate. Easily the best sounding active system I've ever heard. Finally got to play it through my amp at a rehearsal with my new prog rock project. Listened to the recordings and WOW! Wicked tone...

The Fender is looking great Harry!
Glad you are getting along with the Distillate so well! There's always been a part of me that wanted to put Activators in one of my Rics - the 8-string comes to mind - but I love the stock Ric sound too.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 08:15:54 AM »
cleaning:

How to clean your cookie sheets--Kitchen "Miracle" Cleaner! You put about 1/4 cup of baking soda in a small glass bowl and squirt in hydrogen peroxide until it makes a nice paste. Then you rub it on the offending dirt/stain/grease...whatever! You can usually just use your fingers...but you can also use a small sponge as well.

I imagine it would work for old bass bridges as well. Baked on grunge is still grunge!

I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW