Author Topic: Squier VM fretless P  (Read 14298 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Squier VM fretless P
« on: December 23, 2013, 12:01:10 PM »
Fender has released a new fretless Precision, in the Squier Vintage Modified series:

http://www.fender.com/basses/precision-bass/vintage-modified-precision-bass-fretless-ebonol-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

It's funny how a simple photo can generate GAS - Bananas at Large (one of my local independent retailers) posted a photo of a newly arrived on on facebook:

Today I am planning on driving up to check it out. The VM stuff has been getting good reviews, here and elsewhere, but it looks like the fretless stuff requires some caution. Ebanol fingerboard, so artificial, and apparently some haven't been made so well, with the lines sticking up, etc. I'll post a review if I am able to check it out.

hieronymous

• View Profile
Re: Squier VM fretless P
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 12:05:47 PM »
And if you don't mind, I'm going to make a list of pros, cons, and questions:

Pros: Good reviews, good price (about $300 street?), I have leftover pickups & bridge if upgrades needed, and it's Christmas!

Cons: Do I really need another fretless? Will I be satisfied with a cheapie bass, since my tastes usually run at least MIJ if not vintage? Will the cheaper woods & artificial fingerboard be an issue?

Questions: Where are the side dot markers? Since it's lined they might be in the "normal" spots - will this be an issue?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »
There's only one cure for GAS, Harry, and if the budget generic meds work out to be just as good as the more expensive name brands, who's going to be laughing... ;)

Fretless is all about feel and dots can be easily added... I never changed the side dot positions on my RD post mod, albeit that the face dots were changed to black by PC when he was still working in the field, and they are where they would normally be... any markers on an upright...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
I was curious about those...I don't think I would object to a synthetic fingerboard as long as is was accurate, and played well.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 02:42:40 PM »
I had a Kramer Duke (Steinberger copy) several years ago, with a synthetic fretboard.  I think they called it ebinol or something like that. It was alright.
 I had some other issues with the bass, but the fretboard was OK with me. That bass had an aluminum neck and a synthetic fretboard. In a pinch you could use it as a prybar, baseball bat or self defense weapon. Sort of a Swiss Army bass ;D.
Rick

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
  Thankfully I have two 70's Fretless P basses. I think this would have been more attractive if they went with a unlined rosewood finger board.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
Unlined rosewood-Agreed...but I have found when playing rock n roll, sometimes I get into situations where I can't hear the pitches accurately enough to play w/o lines...

Especially if the band is roaring, and the lighting is lousy, lines are your friends...in a quiet jazz bar, your ears will guide you, and you don't need the visual cues as much.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
 I like the WOW :o factor of no lines lol People seem to think your a bass god if you can manage even a simple tune on a unlined fretless. My walnut '75 before the body swap, I had just got it and thought it would work well for this song.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »
...but it looks like the fretless stuff requires some caution. Ebanol fingerboard, so artificial, and apparently some haven't been made so well, with the lines sticking up, etc.

The first thought I had was: well at least you wouldn't have to worry about poorly done fret dressing!  Ah well..

Too bad they don't make one with a blank plank  8)  (or do they?)

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 01:18:50 AM »
So I played it!

image by Harry 3, on Flickr

Not bad - fingerboard felt fine, I could feel the fret lines if I ran my finger over them directly but not while playing. The dots were in the normal fretted spots, but with the fret lines it wasn't an issue. Lines don't particularly bother me. It sounded fine - played it through an Aguilar Tone Hammer & cab - though it was set up more for "mwah" - round wounds & action pretty low - if I want mwah I'll get a Jazz, with a P I want a deeper sound, so if I were to get the bass I would quickly get some flats on there. I noticed that someone did some guitar vibrato, there were some marks on the fretboard from the strings already.

So I finally decided not to go for it. Not that it's a bad bass, but just decided that I didn't need it and would rather spend the money elsewhere. Like maybe even save up for a vintage '70s with the maple fretboard - that's what I would much rather have, maybe it's time to start working towards that dream instead. If I didn't already have a couple of fretlesses I might have gone for it!