Author Topic: Triumph pups in Guild M-85?  (Read 998 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Triumph pups in Guild M-85?
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:29:52 AM »
I just had a wacky idea - would love to have a set of these pickups:

And put them in this bass:

I don't have a spare low-impedance set, mind you, just thinking out loud. Would the pickups have to be slanted to fit in the given space in the Guild? Could they fit?!! Alembic Activators would be another idea but there probably isn't enough space for the electronics. Dark Stars or some other Bi-Sonic clone would be the most obvious choice since they would probably fit without too much trouble.

I wanted to like the humbuckers - I actually have gotten a good sound out of them, but with the help of an Alembic SF-2 Superfilter. As they are, I have found them to be rather unspectacular.

At this point this project is not going to happen - the bass doesn't go out much - just imagining out loud!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Triumph pups in Guild M-85?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:42:31 AM »
I wasn't impressed with the pickups on the M-85 I that I had either.
Unspectucular indeed.
I sold the bass after a while.

I don't think Triumph pickups will fit nicely. The Guild humbuckers are more square and would leave ugly gaps in the corners.
Plus you'd have to widen the pickup cavities as the Gibson humbuckers are more reactangular than the Guild humbuckers.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:02:57 AM »
I just had a wacky idea - would love to have a set of these pickups:

There is no such thing as a wacky idea...

But yes, the LoZ bass pickups are huge.

I'd try the LoZ guitar pickups, they are not as wide - maybe they fit? Of course, you'd have to modify a pickup ring.
Used them in my fretless EB-0 project a while ago (just remembered i forgot to post pictures in my thread :-(  and
they work great!

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
May I refer you to the thread keep hijacking over on Lets Talk Guild? A long time ago I put Darkstars into a Guild JS-II. It sounded really good and I gigged with it a lot. But recently I put in active electronics. I'm still experimenting with strings, but you might ponder something similar?