Author Topic: Could use a little help for a class  (Read 1154 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Could use a little help for a class
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:07:59 PM »
I need to write up a paper for my Management 175 class and could use some help from anyone here that feels like responding to a couple of questions. I thought it might be interesting to get views from people in different lines of work as well as from other country's. Below is my assignment breakdown along with the questions:

Motivation is an invisible and powerful force. Strong motivation can drive individuals and organizations to remarkable heights of achievement. A loss of motivation can leave us dispirited and ineffective. One of the fundamental responsibilities of managers is to support healthy worker motivation. This exercise will allow you to practice designing support for worker motivation.

The aim of this exercise is to give you an opportunity to learn from practicing professionals about a topic of central importance to managers—how to support strong and healthy motivation at work.

TASKS:

Review Chapter 11 on Motivating & Rewarding Employees to get some background on motivation theories and discussions.

Prepare interviews.  Select two individuals to interview about motivation at work. These may be your co-workers, supervisors, or friends who can provide useful information.  

Conduct interviews. Inform the potential interviewee that you are interested in talking about workplace motivation. Set a time that is convenient and ensure that you arrive on time and prepared. Make the interview brief, with 15–20 minutes a good target. Go beyond 20 minutes only if the interviewee gives permission and the discussion is lively. Be sure to thank the interviewee for taking the time to visit with you.

Interview questions might include the following:

1.       How would you describe your work? What are some of the things that you particularly like about your work?

2.       We are currently studying the topic of motivation in one of my classes. What boosts your motivation at work? If you have ever experienced a period of low motivation, can you identify things that might have contributed to your losing steam in your work?

3..       What kinds of rewards or incentives work best to motivate individuals and/or teams who do your type of work? What kinds of rewards or incentives don’t work so well?

I'm not in a position to do this with any of my co-workers due to general weirdness going on at work these days otherwise I'd just grill them. If anyone feels like answering one or more of these questions you would be helping me tremendously. I may need to ask a follow up question as well, but I will try to keep those as basic as possible.

Thanks in advance!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:07:05 PM by Nokturnal »
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Could use a little help for a class
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:23:45 PM »
I'm game.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
The questions are in bold print in the original post (I forgot to do that when I first posted it). If you could answer any or all questions that would be great! If you would prefer to do it by PM I will work it that way too.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:00:25 PM »
You got it, mang!  I'll send you an email.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 05:58:02 AM »
Good luck!  A fun topic to study.  I've taught leadership for 20 years on and off, let me know if I can help.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
A big Thank You!! to Rob and Gary!!! You were a big help on this.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 04:53:27 AM »
you're welcome  :)

gweimer

• View Profile