Author Topic: Bass IV  (Read 6321 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Bass IV
« on: December 04, 2013, 05:14:18 AM »
I really think these look great in natural finish. Kicking myself for not buying the one on eBay 2 years ago for $400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1987-Gibson-IV-Bass-Guitar-/171186955126?pt=Guitar&hash=item27db89a376
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Bass IV
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:41:11 AM »
I still don't see these picking up beauty pageant awards any time soon, but as IVs go, the natural clearcoat maho look was indeed best. Both the white and the "Ferrari red" cheapified things considerably. Now the ones in pink are another matter - they're trash, but in style!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:32:34 AM »
Take the strings off and it looks like some form of medieval weapon...

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:37:42 AM »
Well, you know I like these.  I don't think the white looked bad at all, very much an 80s style, but I quite liked it.  The IV may not be the bonniest bass Gibson have ever issued, but by gosh it works.  If I'm ever going to a gig and I've got any doubts about how good the sound is going to be (equipment, monitoring, whatever), I take the IV because it just seems to drop into any situation and just play.  It's probably the same with any TB+ equipped bass to be fair.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »
I have no issues with them at all sonically and they are ergonomic as hell, have played them myself at gigs and people have never said a nasty thing about them. They live up to expectations how Joe Blow thinks an electric bass (all?) should look.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
I dunno.  The pointy headstock on a, lets face it, Fender shaped body just doesn't work for me.  Not ugly, just awkward.... then again I like the way victories look (same body shape right? plus/minus contours?).  Could be the hardware/PG in addition to the headstock that tie it together for me.

... maybe I'd like my Victory's tone even more  if it were all maho with set neck like these... but it'd probaly loose it's value as a  P sounding (if a bit ballsier/aggressive) bass - which is why I keep it (don't have a P, and when folks come in to the studio they like familiar things).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
I dunno.  The pointy headstock on a, lets face it, Fender shaped body just doesn't work for me.  Not ugly, just awkward....

I'm with you on that. I've owned a couple of them and I'd probably have one now if not for that headstock.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 05:55:25 PM »
The IVs and Vs don't have a Victory body shape (Q-80 and -90 had), their body is much more like a not yet fully developed larvae as opposed to the Victory hulks that are not afraid to show real contours.

Am I the only one here who sees parallels between the new Fender Dimension bass and the Victories?

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 06:28:44 PM »
Am I the only one here who sees parallels between the new Fender Dimension bass and the Victories?

You are not alone in that viewpoint.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »
I saw the parallels between the Gibson Bass IV and the Fender Zone American Deluxe.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:53:07 PM by gweimer »
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 08:59:13 AM »
I've been thinking the Fender Dimension and Gibson EB are aesthetically very similar.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »
The horn half maybe (though that lower cutaway is much deeper - not as deep as a Victory though - love that 24th fret access) .... the ass end just screams Mosrite (aka understated Rev TBird offset) to me.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 06:37:46 PM »
I really like the look of the new EB.  

It looks as though they are getting some following at TB which is More representative of the bass community by large vs the old folks home.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:55:48 PM by Barklessdog »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
I really like the look of the new EB.  

It looks as though they are getting some following at TB which is More representative of the bass community by large vs the old folks home.

TB is representative of the online bass community because of its size. It has very little similarity to real world bassists, most of whom don't frequent forums.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 08:32:16 PM »
TB sure has grown over the years.  I remember when it started Paul was living in an apartment.  It has become so profitable he now lives in a nearly half million dollar home. (Travis County property tax records are public)