Author Topic: They say that you can't play slap on rickenbacker...  (Read 5629 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: They say that you can't play slap on rickenbacker...
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 06:25:13 PM »
did Rick James have enough songs for a box set??
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 11:03:53 PM »
did Rick James have enough songs for a box set??

;D I dunno.  I don't really have a box set. 

Most of what I learned about RJ is from Dave Chapelle

nofi

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 03:45:20 PM »
slapping is some silly shite. mainly because you have to totally 'de-ball ' your bass tone to get that wankety wank treble tortured piano affect. at that point you turn into a demented banjo player. it's still popular at the music store bass tryouts, however. but i wish it would go away. far away.

Blazer

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 06:32:20 PM »
slapping is some silly shite. mainly because you have to totally 'de-ball ' your bass tone to get that wankety wank treble tortured piano affect. at that point you turn into a demented banjo player. it's still popular at the music store bass tryouts, however. but i wish it would go away. far away.

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE!

I started this thread to discuss a modified Rickenbacker knock off, not to bash people who stick out their thumbs and Slap. So Away with it already, Dave, could you please lock this thread, this isn't fun anymore.

And for good measure, Rick James was a compitent Bassplayer but on his albums and on his live performances it was Oscar Alston's job te keep the low end going. Dave Chapelle's Rick james impersonations aren't really that accurate of the real man, who was quoted saying that Oscar Aslton was the man responcible for all his succes, being able to channel what James wanted to put forward with his bassplaying. Chapelle only points out the over the top persona, not the gentler side of Rick James the human who respected his musicians.

HornetAMX

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 06:50:39 PM »
I bought my first Rick James album when I was 16.  It was "Come Get It!" I think.  I loved the song "You And I" and "Mary Jane."  It would be cool if we could ever hear some of the stuff he recorded with Neil Young and Bruce Palmer. 

And for the record, I love slapping.  But I grew up on Brothers Johnson, Slave, Rose Royce, Sun, GQ, Instant Funk, Mass Production, T Connection, etc, etc.  These are the bands that got me into playing bass.  And while I'm no great slapper I have to do it in my band.  We do a lot of funk material from the 70's.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »
No need to lock it. Threads do have a way of going off on their own and slapping does bring out strong feelings. Wouldn't be much fun if we all had the same opinions.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 03:11:10 AM »
I've seen him live slapping on that Ric (or one just like it). He wasn't a great technician, but he did it with aplomb and even, yes, taste.

While I never slap, I think it can add something if it is done not too fast, not all the time and at the right place. And I prefer if it sounds dirty and with a lot of human factor as opposed to Mark King's "sequencer style". BTW, John Entwistle's style towards his later years wasn't that far removed from slapping as regards both his sound and his "typewriter technique".
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:20:16 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...