Author Topic: Yamaha BB1100S - any experiences?  (Read 13690 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Yamaha BB1100S - any experiences?
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »
Hey all,
I'm selling one of my rigs (the street value is between $600-800), and I've been offered a trade (which I really wasn't looking to do), but it's kind of interesting.
He's offering a 1985 Yamaha BB1100S (Japan) in great condition.
I've read a couple of reviews, and saw a few guys slap at them on youtube, but I can't tell good slap from bad slap...so they weren't much help to me.

I play mostly classic rock type stuff, some blues, punkabilly/rockabilly, etc.  I don't slap or play much funk (mainly because I'm not good enough).

Since most folks on LBO tell it like it is, I thought I'd ask: Anyone here have any experience with the BB1100S?

Thanks,
Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha BB1100S - any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:00:52 AM »
I've only played one in a store. Yamaha makes good gear, but there's no vintage value, no matter how many people wish it. It's not worth $600-800.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:02:33 PM »
Thanks Dave - that's why you're the big cheese around here...
I appreciate the feedback and honesty. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »
I know this is a predominately Gibson forum but as for the music you're playing I'm reminded of something Dave said ages back...

"... If you can't do it with a P..."  ;)

I just like the idea of the simplicity which is where I've gone with most of mine - the BB1100S is effectively a super P/J with bells and whistles and a high neck access for those that may wander up there when they forget that what they meant to play was just a solid bottom-end... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:30:21 PM »
I don't know about that one.  But if it's anything like the Yamaha BB3000, it's a great sounding bass, IMO.  I've wanted one of those for a while now. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
Yeah, I really didn't go hunting for this BB1100S.  I'm really of fan of the P-bass (I have a few) and rarely stray past double-dot territory.

As luck would have it, the guy who wants to trade has settled on the head & 1x15 for his bass and cash.
I have another guy who wanted only the 2x10 part of the rig, so all is well...and no shipping involved!!
I must be living right or something.

Now I just need to flip this BB110S for no money lost and I'm all good with that.

Thx guys

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »
I sold a nice BB1200 recently for $599.  I think they may be more sought after due to the McCartney connection. (mine was sunburst just like his)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 01:59:02 AM »
Never owned one but I have played many, and whenever I get the chance to play a BB1100S I always think, this must be the best sounding bass Yamaha ever built.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 03:12:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
For an '85, it's in great shape:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 08:33:32 AM »
Yeah, that looks in good shape for its age. It just doesn't have vintage value. You got cash in the deal so it's all good, you should be able to move it.

IMHO even Yamaha's entry level guitars and basses are good.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
Yeah, that looks in good shape for its age. It just doesn't have vintage value. You got cash in the deal so it's all good, you should be able to move it.

IMHO even Yamaha's entry level guitars and basses are good.

I never owned a Yamaha, but I have liked every one I have ever played. Back in the early 70s, when they were pretty new to the acoustic guitar market, I think they were the absolute best bang for the buck out there. Their stuff was displayed with the Tiescos , Crestwoods and other cheapos . I don't think you could pay $200 for their most expensive guitar, yet they were on par with Gibsons and Guilds of that era that were better than twice the cost.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
I had a nylon string Yamaha acoustic that one of my sisters gave me when she bought a more expensive one. It sounded great for an inexpensive laminate top guitar.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 07:09:37 AM »
I had a nylon string Yamaha acoustic that one of my sisters gave me when she bought a more expensive one. It sounded great for an inexpensive laminate top guitar.

To my knowledge, Yamaha was one of the first laminates and that's what put them on the cheapo shelf, but they sounded great. I can't say how well they aged, I haven't seen one in a while.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
In the time I've been hanging out here, on TB and other forums, I don't think I have ever heard a bad word about Yamaha basses.  They don't get talked about much, but what talk there is seems to be good.

I'm convinced that Yamaha makes everything. Basses, organs, skiis, motorcycles, pianos....seems like if you look hard enough you'll find their name on something in every product line.  Maybe they're the inspiration for Acme in the Road Runner cartoons.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »
I've got 2 Yamaha's in my garage (1 cruiser, 1 woods bike). They make quality bikes.

I had one of their "entry level" basses (RBX270 maybe?) - it was just fine.  I gave it to a friend's son who wanted to learn bass.  He's still playing and he still loves that bass.  I have no doubt that this BB1100S will be anything less than typical Yamaha quality.  It'll sound like ass as soon as I get my paws on it.