Author Topic: Amp merry-go-round (B-12)  (Read 14474 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Amp merry-go-round (B-12)
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »
Dang, Bill, that was my freshman year in High School too! 

No band though, orchestra, wrasslin' an upright bass.

1964 was a great year.  We gigged just about every weekend and all through the summers.  Life was good and we had a ball.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2013, 03:43:23 PM »
This will make you fell even younger.  I graduated HS in '64...do have all my hair, though.

Still have most of my hair , but I have four blown discs in my back and a new hip. I was talking with an 81 year old guy the other day and he was complaining about all the stuff he can no longer do. Between the two of us , I think I'd call it a draw :-[.
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
Damn, you're making me feel young. I graduated in 1970. Thanks guys, I needed that ;D.
Rick

1970?  I got t-shirts older than that!  Enjoy your youth, it's gone before you know it!   :P

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2013, 03:46:23 PM »
This will make you fell even younger.  I graduated HS in '64...do have all my hair, though.

Ah, it's good to have a wiser and older mentor in the forum.  Hair is way overrated.  I save a ton on combs and shampoo!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
Still have most of my hair , but I have four blown discs in my back and a new hip. I was talking with an 81 year old guy the other day and he was complaining about all the stuff he can no longer do. Between the two of us , I think I'd call it a draw :-[.
Rick

Wow, you've been through the mill.  Hope you don't have to go through any more of those ortho issues, they can be nasty and chronic.  Stay healthy!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
Rick

How's it going with the hip?  A buddy of mine had his done, took a LOT longer to heal than the docs said it would.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2013, 08:08:12 PM »
Heh, I like hearing from you guys that were gigging back when rock and roll was actually a thing that still freaked out a lot of parents.
Me, I was BORN in 1970 ... on the other hand, since I work in the world of "tech", I've gotten used to often being the oldest guy in the office by a wide margin, and more recently I've had to come to terms with having some coworkers who were born after I graduated college.

I have apparently just hit the age when I start seeing medical professionals younger than me.  That's going to get irksome over the next however-many-decades-i-have...

I thought of a fun "how to feel old" game.  Start making a list of things and events that, if they were people, would be at least old enough to legally drink in the US.

- Punk
- "New Wave"
- "The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal"
- The Who's "Farewell" tour ( hahahahahhaha)
- The Who's first reunion tour
- Live Aid
- "Hair metal"
- "Death metal"
- a thousand other flavors of metal
- Fall of the Berlin Wall
- The entire f***ing decade of the 80s
- Nirvana and all the Seattle / northwest / grunge bands
- Sinead O'Connor ripping up the Pope photo
- Prince making no sense
- Bill Clinton getting elected

And so on and so on.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »
^ ^ ^

Some of us were already in our thirties before any of the above happened.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2013, 08:11:45 AM »
^ ^ ^

Some of us were already in our thirties before any of the above happened.

Yep, it's hard for me even consider I was 30 already in 1980!  I essentially shut down musically in the early 80's.  I quit listening to the radio much and purchased even fewer cassettes and then CDs.  The joke in my family is everything from that era sounds like Journey to me!   ;D  I rediscovered classic rock about 10 years ago and it's been a kick ever since.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2013, 05:46:40 AM »
How's it going with the hip?  A buddy of mine had his done, took a LOT longer to heal than the docs said it would.

I'm far from being the poster child for hip replacement surgery :sad:. They put a hairline fracture in my femur when they hammered the ball portion of the joint in. That really slowed the recovery down and added a fair dose of additional pain. It's been about seven months and things are OK, but nothing to brag about. It did very little to ease back pain. In my defense, I still work out an hour a day ,5 days a week and can toss around more weight than most guys my age. Too bad that's all I can do. As far as doing anything practical, I'm freakin' useless. Can't bend , can't reach , can't stand on a ladder etc..
Rick

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »
I'm far from being the poster child for hip replacement surgery :sad:. They put a hairline fracture in my femur when they hammered the ball portion of the joint in. That really slowed the recovery down and added a fair dose of additional pain. It's been about seven months and things are OK, but nothing to brag about. It did very little to ease back pain. In my defense, I still work out an hour a day ,5 days a week and can toss around more weight than most guys my age. Too bad that's all I can do. As far as doing anything practical, I'm freakin' useless. Can't bend , can't reach , can't stand on a ladder etc..
Rick

I think it takes a year to recuperate from hip or knee replacement in the best case scenario.  Sounds like they did a  bad job on yours.

I've had back pain most of my life.  I'm a little guy and moving SVT fridge cabs and lifting 80 lb sheets of MDF did its damage.  These days if lucky I can catch tweaks and take it easy before I'm left prone for a few days.  Had a slight one yesterday that 'encouraged' me to adjust the height of my workbench immediately to 46" off the floor.  I'll see how that works today for buffing a body.  Seems to be just about right for soldering a wiring harness standing up, which is how I work.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
I think it takes a year to recuperate from hip or knee replacement in the best case scenario.  Sounds like they did a  bad job on yours.

I've had back pain most of my life.  I'm a little guy and moving SVT fridge cabs and lifting 80 lb sheets of MDF did its damage.  These days if lucky I can catch tweaks and take it easy before I'm left prone for a few days.  Had a slight one yesterday that 'encouraged' me to adjust the height of my workbench immediately to 46" off the floor.  I'll see how that works today for buffing a body.  Seems to be just about right for soldering a wiring harness standing up, which is how I work.

It kills me to see these 80 year old women who have been through both hips that can run circles around me >:(. I went to the best hip surgeon in the state and landed in the less than 10% category that gets the fracture in the femur(typical for me). My back has been screwed up for about 31 years, but the age thing is making it a whole lot tougher to deal with. So, that's why I sing the Blues ;D.
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
Wow Rick, sorry to hear about your back and hip issues.  I feel blessed that my neck and should issues are minor in comparison.  I hope things improve for you and that you heal quickly and as completely as possible!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »
I feel the same way about occasional back complaints here...be better, Rick!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2013, 05:43:39 AM »
Thanks guys ;D. I didn't mean to turn this in to the let's feel sorry for Rick thread :-[. On the brighter side, I'm walking without a cane for the first time in 18 years, taking less pain meds, and I'm working out like crazy. Everyone tells me I look like I'm in great shape. So, I prescribe to the "it's better to look good than to feel good " philosophy. I'm not so sure I believe it but, what the hell, you play what you're dealt ;D.
Rick