Author Topic: New mesa Prodigy  (Read 21182 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New mesa Prodigy
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »
.. I'm beginning to think the cabs are a bit too modern and I need to work more with the EQ on the amp.

Otherwise, all is good.  Several other bass players who attended my last 2 gigs loved the sound of the rig, so I know it's that little "expectation filter" in my brain that is telling me it's not what I expected!

The cabs aren't too modern, especially considering that they're 15s. I'd say your brain is just expecting a little more vintage sound than they have.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »
The cabs aren't too modern, especially considering that they're 15s. I'd say your brain is just expecting a little more vintage sound than they have.

Yep, it's a brain thing for sure.  I should be glad the rig doesn't sound as crappy as my old B-15 trying to do outdoor gigs and huge dance halls.  I just have to work more at tweaking the amp and quit being an old fart!   :o
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Don't be afraid to turn the tweeter entirely off...  sometimes that's what it takes.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
Don't be afraid to turn the tweeter entirely off...  sometimes that's what it takes.

I'm with you.  I decided that was going to be my first step.  The edge on my sound cuts like a knife and I suspected it could one of the culprits.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 05:49:47 AM »
Lots going on with the Mesa.  I bought the 4 button pedal made for the Prodigy and it's really nice.  The Mute feature is great and you can add a tuner to the pedal so you can tune while in mute mode. I'll be doing that. I love the Solo button, being able to increase volume in the middle of a song and drop back down again is really cool. I don't use FX but the Voice button is fun as well since you can toggle between your 5 voice settings. Gotta learn how to do that better! You could expect the pedal to come with an amp that costs $1799, but I paid $110, so it was worth it IMHO.

I haven't been able to tone down the Powerhouse speakers, so I'm changing them out to two Mesa Scout radiating 15" cabs.  You just can't get the low deep end out of the PH cabs and the Scouts are great for that. Should be in the shop in 4-6 weeks. 

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »
If the amp cost 10 times that, don't expect the pedal. You're livin' in the past doc, you're livin' in the past ;D ;).
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2013, 09:02:23 AM »
If the amp cost 10 times that, don't expect the pedal. You're livin' in the past doc, you're livin' in the past ;D ;).
Rick

I know!  But sometimes the past is so much better than the present, except when you're a cancer survivor.  Viva el presente y futuro!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »
Congratulations on beating the big C pal ;D.
I am working on a time machine out in the garage. It mows the lawn great, but I haven't worked out all the bugs in the time travel thing. When I get it all sorted out I'll give you a call ;D ;).
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2013, 06:03:34 AM »
Congratulations on beating the big C pal ;D.
I am working on a time machine out in the garage. It mows the lawn great, but I haven't worked out all the bugs in the time travel thing. When I get it all sorted out I'll give you a call ;D ;).
Rick

It's easy to be nostalgic at my age!  I have lots of fond memories.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2013, 03:32:35 PM »
It's easy to be nostalgic at my age!  I have lots of fond memories.

Or as the old joke from the late 60s went, I remember when air was clean, sex was dirty and hot pants was a condition instead of a fashion.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 03:45:28 PM »
Or as the old joke from the late 60s went, I remember when air was clean, sex was dirty and hot pants was a condition instead of a fashion.

Or my dad walking to school everyday, uphill both ways.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2013, 06:42:18 AM »
Or my dad walking to school everyday, uphill both ways.

Hey, I did that too........at least I think I did  :-\ ;)
Rick