Author Topic: Punk RIP  (Read 9155 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Punk RIP
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 01:57:37 PM »
When Motorhead by Motorhead was released by Chiswick in '77 it was classed as "punk" by quite a few... fitted the same rough-and-ready nature of quite a few of them though...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »
I remember reading a article on the very early punk scene and there were a couple of pages worth of AC/DC being an up and coming punk band?  Go figure.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
Although I never saw the issue, I read that an issue of Creem about 1970 had the first mention of a band playing "punk rock music." The band was ? and the Mysterians.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 06:03:27 AM »
I remember reading a article on the very early punk scene and there were a couple of pages worth of AC/DC being an up and coming punk band?  Go figure.

You are not hallucinating, early AC/DC were lumped into the punk rock cart in Germany too until it dawned on someone that they were very possibly just hard rock. But I can understand where these people were coming from, I saw AC/DC first in 1976 opening for Rainbow and while Rainbow was still all flamboyant 70ies rock stardom, black satin loon pants and all, Angus' schoolboy uniform and Bon Scott's rogue roadie look were something else. AC/DC had no grandeur to their music, it was very stripped down and snappy (similar to Dr Feelgood who also found grace with a punk audience), I believe they would have survived at any punk rock festival before their image was that of an established hard rock act. I remember one mag calling them "a punk version of Status Quo". And sometime later an article that they were way too apolitical to be classed as punk while another mag called them "punk for working class youths with a job". They only received the hard rock badge for good around "Got Live if You Want It".

Motörhead, perhaps because of their (what you would today call) indie label roots or because of Lemmy's Hawkwind pedigree (as Hawkwind were always regarded as a true people's band with all their free concerts) -, were always well-received by punks and the punk-adoring press, they were the one long haired English band (of course there were the Ramones as well, but they were Americans) that actually benefitted from the Summer of Punk and what followed it. Maybe wearing gun belts helped too.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:04:23 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2013, 09:36:45 AM »
When Motorhead by Motorhead was released by Chiswick in '77 it was classed as "punk" by quite a few... fitted the same rough-and-ready nature of quite a few of them though...

I remember reading a article on the very early punk scene and there were a couple of pages worth of AC/DC being an up and coming punk band?  Go figure.

Just further examples of how far up their asses music journos have/had their heads.  Oh, they wear motorcycle jackets just like the Ramones/the core audience in their home town is "Bikies" (I still find the Aussie version of the word "biker" to be hilariously apt; as menacing as they are, and as often as they seem to be busted for weapons possession due to the stockpiles in their basements, they don't ever seem to ever pull them out or do much to anyone aside from getting into fights in the line for AC/DC concerts and then busted when the cop that breaks it up searches them and finds that their holding a significant quantity of meth - true story, I was there) - MUST be punks.

... anyway, the whole genre pigeonhole thing is very bullshit to me anyhow.  It's only purpose seems to be to give hipster music nerds something to argue about with each other and lazy journos an easy catchphrase.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:42:32 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
I thought punk was dead in 1977?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
That said, I've got tickets to see Television in a few weeks.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2013, 12:26:44 AM »
Had an interview with CJ Ramone last night. He was ranting about bands like Mumford & Sons and kids not listening to punk anymore. But he was quite positive about the state and quality of a lot of young bands supporting him during the tour.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2013, 07:53:26 AM »
I think it's telling that when they talk about the 'last Ramone remaining alive" they don't mention CJ, but rather Tommy (nor do they, for that matter mention "Elvis Ramone" aka Clem Burke the drummer from Blondie, who was, granted , only in the band for, like, 2 minutes on account of being too jazzy....  and Ritchie, which I don't see a reason for at all.).

Mark, I am so jealous.  I keep on missing them every time they're out my way since forever (always out of town or something).  Any idea about the lineup?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:37:46 AM by Granny Gremlin »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
Marky isn't dead yet.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
Don't forget about Marky Ramone.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
Thanks for the back up  ;)
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2013, 10:07:51 AM »
Ha!  I was listening to my Dust LP's just the other day.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2013, 10:33:59 AM »
Had an interview with CJ Ramone last night. He was ranting about bands like Mumford & Sons and kids not listening to punk anymore. But he was quite positive about the state and quality of a lot of young bands supporting him during the tour.

Mumford & Sons is going on hiatus. Too bad, because that implies they might be back someday.  ;D

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »
Marky isn't dead yet.

Right - I knew I was missing a few drummers in there.