Author Topic: McCartney's new tour  (Read 4183 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: McCartney's new tour
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »
Paul on Jimmy Kimmel last night with his newest song.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 08:19:31 AM »
Not to pick sides, but Paul was always my favorite. When I got past listening to what my sisters had and started buying my own music, Wings 45 of Let em In was the first thing I bought (along with Boys are Back/Jailbreak). And it went from there. A year later I got my first bass. We'd had Sgt. Peppers in the house for as far back as I can remember, plus a bunch of 45s. LOVED Penny Lane and Hello Goodbye! And the Apple label was just cool.  :mrgreen:

Anyway, I saw Paul do Mr. Kite on Colbert a couple months ago. Very cool! Sampling technology put to good use there. Just listened to three new songs today. Two I liked (Everybody Out There, New), one (Save Us), eh...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 08:57:04 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I love Paul.  I was just listening to Abbey Road the other day.  And I liked Ringo's solo stuff in the early to mid 70's.  Paul's 70's output was great as well.  My friend was disappointed that he did not play Jet in concert.  Band On The Run is one of my favorite records by Paul.  I often wonder what John would have done had he not taken that 5 year break.

I've posted about this before here.  In my opinion, Paul was at his best when he was collaborating.  In his collaboration with John, he was John's equal.  In fact, in some cases it might be argued that he was really quite a driving force behind the Beatles from time to time.  One example would be during Abbey Road.  John and Yoko got into a car accident in Scotland and were hospitalized.  Paul was still in the studio recording and got so busy he turned over some of the bass-playing duties to George.  I'm not sure if any of that has been posted on this board or not, but it shouldn't be too hard to look up. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 09:11:39 AM »
Gotta love Paul! I saw him in Toronto in '89, still the best concert I ever witnessed. He played bass, guitar, piano and sang his ass off. He clearly loved every minute of it. For me Paul can do no wrong even if he breaks into Silly Love Longs, though I'd much rather hear Jrs. Farm.

I was at that concert as well Scott. That was the Flowers In The Dirt tour. I still have the program handout from that show. It was great concert, unfortunately it was in The Skydome which has the worst acoustics.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »
I don't have a favorite between the two, but Paul has one crowning musical achievement ahead of John: He never allowed his wife to sing lead.
That and how he didn't like Phil Spec-to-to-to-to-tor's production.

And in my book any Ex-Beatle can play all their songs from their canon irrespectively of who wrote what. 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »
I don't have a favorite between the two, but Paul has one crowning musical achievement ahead of John: He never allowed his wife to sing lead. 

Uhhhh............

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »
Macca's new song is all over the radio here in Holland and I like it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 02:45:49 AM »

Uhhhh............

Good I never had that album. A one-time aberration, John was a repeat offender!  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 02:49:25 AM »
Paul on Jimmy Kimmel last night with his newest song.

A bit too sweetish/Tin Pan Alley for me (I prefer the rockier Paul as he very well can be), but the Epiphone JC graces it.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 08:01:25 AM »

Uhhhh............

Ugh, yeah, that was on the flipside of the Let em In 45. I love that album though. A lovely ditty sung by Denny -