Author Topic: McCartney's new tour  (Read 4186 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
McCartney's new tour
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »
He's added some Beatles stuff, including "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite".  

Definitely one of the oddest tunes the Beatles did...but one I have always liked.  His comments:

"That's challenging. I mean, something like "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" is hard to do. Ask a bass player who sings. It's contrapuntal, man! It really is. I've got to sing a melody that's going to one place, and then I've got to play this bassline that's going to other places. It's a concentration thing. But that's half the fun of the show. I'm still practicing, still trying to figure it out, particularly on the new numbers. It's like, "How does this one go again?"

And....

"Well, for instance, "Mr. Kite" is such a crazy, oddball song that I thought it would freshen up the set. Plus the fact that I'd never done it. None of us in the Beatles ever did that song [in concert]. And I have great memories of writing it with John. I read, occasionally, people say, "Oh, John wrote that one." I say, "Wait a minute, what was that afternoon I spent with him, then, looking at this poster?" He happened to have a poster in his living room at home. I was out at his house, and we just got this idea, because the poster said "Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite" – and then we put in, you know, "there will be a show tonight," and then it was like, "of course," then it had "Henry the Horse dances the waltz." You know, whatever. "The Hendersons, Pablo Fanques, somersets…" We said, "What was 'somersets'? It must have been an old-fashioned way of saying somersaults." The song just wrote itself. So, yeah, I was happy to kind of reclaim it as partially mine. But like I said, you've got to look what you're doing when you play that one."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-paul-mccartney-looks-back-on-his-latest-magical-mystery-tour-20130725#ixzz2fjnhaTNG
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:34:05 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
Re: McCartney's new tour
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »
Very interesting.  I read some of the comments.  It's amazing how some of the people have such egos that they can write such things.  I'm speaking of those who label John as the rock genius and Paul as his inferior.  I was more of a fan of John, but Paul was John's equal in the Beatles.  Since Paul co-wrote "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite," although John sang it, he has every right to do the song live now if he feels like it.  Those armchair critics, egocentric and full of vitriol and self-importance are not, however, ever in short supply.  In case this isn't clear, I am referring to readers' comments at the bottom of the article.  But I'd suggest that you not waste your time like I did reading such nonsense. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »
I never understood the people who worshiped John, but there was something about him - maybe the Yoko deal - that seemed to convince people he was special.

Paul has always seemed more approachable to me, and I'm confident that he was at least an equal partner in writing their music.

And if not, I don't give a rat's a**, because John is dead and Paul is still making music.  He wins.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »
 Gotta love Paul! I saw him in Toronto in '89, still the best concert I ever witnessed. He played bass, guitar, piano and sang his ass off. He clearly loved every minute of it. For me Paul can do no wrong even if he breaks into Silly Love Longs, though I'd much rather hear Jrs. Farm.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »
A buddy of mine took his kid to see McCartney when he was in Austin this past May.  Over $500 for face value tickets.  No thank you.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 06:48:12 PM »
A buddy of mine took his kid to see McCartney when he was in Austin this past May.  Over $500 for face value tickets.  No thank you.

Two different issues.  I wouldn't even consider paying that.  My point, however, is the objection I was making to people who had posted that essentially John Lennon was a great genius and Paul McCartney a no-talent hack.  If you read some of the comments (which I recommend that people not waste their time on like I did,) you'll see a statement or two (at the bottom of the article) to that effect. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:53:48 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
They've been making that argument since Lennon was shot on December 1980.  Anyone remember Give My Regards To Broad Street or the awful duet he did with Michael Jackson, Say, Say, Say? 

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
They've been making that argument since Lennon was shot on December 1980.  Anyone remember Give My Regards To Broad Street or the awful duet he did with Michael Jackson, Say, Say, Say?  

Yes, that's true.  If Paul had died not long after the Beatles broke up, he would be remembered in a radically different way.  I have never much liked his solo work.  Both John and George had way better solo albums.  Still, for me that doesn't take away from his great accomplishments with the Beatles. 

--Blaise Pascal

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love Paul.  I was just listening to Abbey Road the other day.  And I liked Ringo's solo stuff in the early to mid 70's.  Paul's 70's output was great as well.  My friend was disappointed that he did not play Jet in concert.  Band On The Run is one of my favorite records by Paul.  I often wonder what John would have done had he not taken that 5 year break.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 03:06:39 AM »
I often wonder what John would have done had he not taken that 5 year break.

John lost me at that point.  Once he became happy, he no longer needed the music, and I think it showed.  Paul seems to have gotten back on track in his golden years, embracing the past more and really just showing his love of the music for what it is.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 04:53:35 AM »
 Mister Kite live is damn impressive, Just watching and hearing that bass line live is worth $500 bucks imho.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 06:52:17 AM »
Mister Kite live is damn impressive, Just watching and hearing that bass line live is worth $500 bucks imho.

I can't imagine playing that and singing it at the same time.  BIG challenge IMO.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 07:11:27 AM »
John lost me at that point.  Once he became happy, he no longer needed the music, and I think it showed.  Paul seems to have gotten back on track in his golden years, embracing the past more and really just showing his love of the music for what it is.

That's right on point. And if Paul doesn't want to break new ground, who cares? He loves what he's doing and so do his fans.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 07:31:04 AM »
guys liked john because of his non music life with ono. drugs, revolution, crazy art, politics etc. paul had the enduring post beatle output. as someone stated, if john had lived he would be resting on his laurels. with yoko of course.imho.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead