Author Topic: nuts..  (Read 5844 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: nuts..
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 03:06:08 PM »
Thanks a lot, chromium- i jumped right on it.

Perfect size, I´d say. I´m really looking forward to rub them all shiny :P

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 03:59:50 PM »
Also observed that the stock nuts on my '66 EB-2D and '68 EB-3 are both only 4-5mm thick, and looking back at pics my former '69 EB-0 the nut is much thicker - like that of the Triumph.  Never noticed that difference before!

My '67 EBO has the thick nut.  '60 and '65 are thin, ditto my '67 EB2.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »
Speaking of nuts... been meaning to ask about this here, and now seems like as good a time as any...

I have one on my Mockingbird that I'd like to remove and either replace or shim ("E" slot is low)... but I can't seem to pry it loose.  It appears that it is secured in there *really* well, and tightly wedged between the fingerboard and headstock veneer.

No idea what type of glue is involved, but was wondering if any of you have tricks for removing a stubborn nut?

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:47 AM »
Well, the X-acto trick is well known but might not work always. Be shure to cut the finish along the side walls of the nut, then tap lightly
front to back and vice versa. Use your fingers when it starts go let go. You might be able to slide it out sideways with pliers if yoy loosened it enough. A better way might be to cut it with a thin saw along the nut length, almost way down to wood and then collapse it towards the middle.
This will save the finish 100% if you are careful, but be shure to cut the laquer first and protect head with low stick tape all over.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 06:30:12 AM »
wouldn't it be easier to drop a few coats of super glue in the low slot and re-cut it?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 07:23:57 AM »
Well, the X-acto trick is well known but might not work always. Be shure to cut the finish along the side walls of the nut, then tap lightly
front to back and vice versa. Use your fingers when it starts go let go. You might be able to slide it out sideways with pliers if yoy loosened it enough. A better way might be to cut it with a thin saw along the nut length, almost way down to wood and then collapse it towards the middle.
This will save the finish 100% if you are careful, but be shure to cut the laquer first and protect head with low stick tape all over.

Ditto.  Good suggestions.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »
Interesting opportunity to make a two-tone nut! 

"Add yet another desirable style element to your bass!"
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »
wouldn't it be easier to drop a few coats of super glue in the low slot and re-cut it?

There are ways to mix bone dust/glue and pack it in the slot (Dan Erlewine tip) but it´s only a temporary solution, it´s messy and who knows how long it lasts. I´d say the nut is so important you´d want the very best solution.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 11:12:23 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  The few I've done in the past gave way much easier, but this sucker is really in there! 

I did try an epoxy+bone mix to build up the E saddle a bit, but it only lasts for a short time and then tends to get pulled out - maybe by the string windings as I'm tuning it.  I haven't tried that with CA yet, though.  Maybe be worth a shot, since it's just that one slot that is borderline low.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  The few I've done in the past gave way much easier, but this sucker is really in there! 

I did try an epoxy+bone mix to build up the E saddle a bit, but it only lasts for a short time and then tends to get pulled out - maybe by the string windings as I'm tuning it.  I haven't tried that with CA yet, though.  Maybe be worth a shot, since it's just that one slot that is borderline low.

I use CA gel with bone dust.  CA sticks to the nut better than epoxy and it's harder.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »
Had a nut "professionally" done on one of my banjos this week...what a huge difference that made! Huge...I may end up taking all the instruments out to be "pro" set up...

The instrument is a pleasure to play now.

Biggest difference I have ever seen in an instrument for a very small amount of money.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 02:54:47 PM »

Biggest difference I have ever seen in an instrument for a very small amount of money.

After learning how to make nuts, I started to look over all my basses, some of which I have played for over 20 years.
It annoys me that I did not do so before, it´s all the difference in the world. Those which had bone nuts (grabber, a couple of eb´s) just needed some attention with height and slot polishing, but a couple of not so expensive ones with plastic nuts became very playable and much better sounding.

Never underestimate the power of the nut!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »
Never underestimate the power of the nut!

Yeah, bust a nut! ;D  :P