Author Topic: CURRENT CATALDO  (Read 135330 times)

Rob

• View Profile
Re: CURRENT CATALDO
« Reply #630 on: April 03, 2018, 05:12:12 PM »
Wow!
I really like those.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 16, 2018, 02:14:32 AM »
That is simply gorgeous

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #632 on: April 16, 2018, 07:27:05 AM »
Thanks, guys!  'ska' pickguard per customer request.  White .060" blank, masking tape strips, .3mm pencil, exacto knife, black and clear lacquer.

installed with neo magnets so batteries can be easily accessed.

24 fret pau ferro fretboard.  This one's going to Switzerland, no rosewood allowed w/o license.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #633 on: April 19, 2018, 09:59:49 AM »
Trussrod cover time.  .015 self stick black cut out with surgical scissors and applied to .030 styrene modeler's plastic.  Line drawn around the black with .3mm drafting pencil using a flexible .065 D string for spacing.

Trimmed to the line with 3 TPI bandsaw blade.

Finished up with flat file.

The Allparts lightweight tuners are made in the same Korean factory as Hipshot's import Ultralites.  Advantage: two mounting screws.

I also like the open gear housing as well as lack of a logo.  Powdercoat black are satin instead of flat, which I also prefer.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #634 on: April 20, 2018, 01:06:51 AM »
Thanx for the tip Carlo. I didn't know Allparts had lightweight tuners too.
I've been using Schaller BM lightweight tuners and Schaller M4 lightweight tuners. But it's good to know more sources for lightweight tuners. :toast:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #635 on: April 20, 2018, 04:53:32 AM »
Thanx for the tip Carlo. I didn't know Allparts had lightweight tuners too.
I've been using Schaller BM lightweight tuners and Schaller M4 lightweight tuners. But it's good to know more sources for lightweight tuners. :toast:

You're welcome, Rob.  AP added them a few months ago.  They have straight string posts, Ultralites have a slight taper top to bottom.  3/8" and 1/2". Price is really good, less than import Ultralites with dealer discount.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #636 on: April 20, 2018, 06:46:50 AM »
They are kinda hard to find. I had to search quite deep into the Allparts site to find them.
First I only found the lollipop ones.

I like that fact that it has straight posts!
Price I found was $ 15 each, right?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #637 on: April 20, 2018, 09:54:41 AM »
They are kinda hard to find. I had to search quite deep into the Allparts site to find them.
First I only found the lollipop ones.

I like that fact that it has straight posts!
Price I found was $ 15 each, right?

The AP site is frustrating sometimes but getting better.  $15 retail. Dealer/builder cost is $7.50

An advantage for me is I buy many items at a time from AP so shipping is less as a percentage of total cost than when I buy from Hipshot.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #638 on: June 02, 2018, 05:50:32 AM »
Getting into veneer and binding, it's fun and adds a lot of bang for the buck.

Reclaimed NR 52 Fiver body with fumed oak veneer on poplar and MAX122 Twelver with flamed oak on mahogany.

JAE42 done and gone.

55P/ThunderBucker mashup will get a heavy CAR relic treatment for Uli in Hamburg. '63 spec neck pickup is 1/4" from Gisbon sweet spot.

Reworked RNR122 with new Twelver bridge/tailpiece combo.

34" Six string to 10 string (BEADx2) neck conversion.

Other than that May was a slow month. ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 02, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »
Sweltering in the Swamp time... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 02, 2018, 04:48:48 PM »
These keep getting better and better!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #641 on: June 02, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
Sweltering in the Swamp time... :mrgreen:

Today over 100 with heat index, 90+ without.

These keep getting better and better!

Thanks, Bob! If it ain't fun, I ain't doing it. ;D

Christine

« Reply #642 on: June 02, 2018, 10:50:03 PM »
I like the veneers and banding, I've done a lot of fuming over the years but never seen oak go that dark before, was it fumed before pressing? Mahogany fumes quite well too, not as dramatic as that but it gains a deeper reddy purple colour that looks very rich when sprayed.

What are you using for a veneer press? Knowing you something as cool as that pin router of yours :)

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 03, 2018, 03:26:41 AM »
I have a soft spot for bindings so I really like those a lot. That fumed oak veneer should look great clear coated.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #644 on: June 03, 2018, 05:44:39 AM »
I like the veneers and banding, I've done a lot of fuming over the years but never seen oak go that dark before, was it fumed before pressing? Mahogany fumes quite well too, not as dramatic as that but it gains a deeper reddy purple colour that looks very rich when sprayed.

What are you using for a veneer press? Knowing you something as cool as that pin router of yours :)

This is a great US source for veneer and tutorials:

www.veneersupplies.com/

He also sells vacuum veneer press components.  I considered that option since I have a vacuum pump that was included with the pin router.  But I decided to keep it simple.  Two body blanks, 4 crowned cauls and 10 clamps. about one hour to 'construct' it.

The fumed oak came that way.  I bought 9 sheets, 14" x 42" for around $40 on a closeout from the above vendor. Also a'starter kit' of essential veneer supplies.  Including some other veneer (100"  14" wide once its bookmatched  flame maple) I'm under $200 total for materials, tools and supplies.

Flamed oak matched and taped.

Binding: For the channel:Router table made from melamined particle board shelving, Porter Cable router, and rabbet bit (1/2" shank) and mutiple bearings direct from China. $12.  I don't do Screw Mac. It's much easier to cut binding channel with a table set up than what seems to be the traditional hand held over the top router method.  Acetone for cementing ABS binding in applicator bottle and super masking tape.

Takes less then a minute for the acetone to set the binding, lots of Youtube tutorials out there.  My twist is using an applicator bottle instead of a brush for the acetone.

I have a soft spot for bindings so I really like those a lot. That fumed oak veneer should look great clear coated.

Yeah , I agree, there is a lot of depth in the oak that will come out with clearcoating.  Next time I'll bookmatch it.  There's also other possibilities...