Author Topic: Ray Shulman's mystery bass  (Read 1517 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Ray Shulman's mystery bass
« on: August 23, 2013, 02:47:50 AM »
The Giant of progressive bass playing, Mr. Ray Shulman of Gentle Giant mostly used a P-bass for the best part of bands career. The last album "Civilian" sounds different 'though, more modern active bass sound. Alembic perhaps or maybe this?:

The pic is from 1980. Could it be a Carvin?

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Ray Shulman's mystery bass
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
Looks like an early Ken Smith.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:06:33 AM »
Looks like an early Ken Smith.

You maybe onto something here.

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:00:58 PM »
I don't know what bass that is but I love GG; I have most of their albums and saw them in early 1975, opening for Rick Wakeman during his King Arthur tour where I saw the iconic (?) original triple neck Wal as played by Roger Newell (I was right at the front edge of the stage for the whole show in front of Roger!)  8)  Of course, Ray was playing a P Bass; somewhere around here I have a bunch of 35mm slides of GG I made at the show.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:32:20 PM by Jeff Scott »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »
I don't know what bass that is but I love GG; I have most of their albums and saw them in early 1975, opening for Rick Wakeman during his King Arthur tour where I saw the iconic (?) original triple neck Wal as played by Roger Newell (I was right at the front edge of the stage for the whole sho in front of Roger!)  8)  Of course, Ray was playing a P Bass; somewhere around here I have a bunch of 35mm slides of GG I made at the show.

Bring it on :)

They are fantastic. I think Ray would sound great on any axe. Complex and tasteful playing, love it!