Author Topic: How much does your bass weigh?  (Read 3717 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
How much does your bass weigh?
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
Friends, I've had a thread running on TalkBass for a few years in which I've been compiling reports of the weights of various basses.  Just in case anyone here is interested in that info, I'm attaching the last spreadsheet update, finished just a few minutes ago.  There are 587 entries.

The original thread can be found at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/time-tell-truth-how-much-does-your-bass-weigh-409213/
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Re: How much does your bass weigh?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:56:35 AM »
Very nice job. If you are going to go ahead I can send the weights of my basses when being back from my vacation. What about adding the weight in kg for us on the other side of the ocean?
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
I'll be glad to add them to the list for the next update I do, which at this point will be at least 3-6 months away.

I don't have the time to convert more than 500 bass weights to KG, sorry.  If you'd like to do the honors, feel free to download the spreadsheet and do so.  All but about a half-dozen of the original posts were in US weight, and I have rounded in some cases, so the conversion would add a slight increase in rounding error.

I think it would be much easier for an individual user to use an online conversion tool to run the weights of the instruments they are interested in.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
I promise that I will do. Many thanks for your work
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »
It would be really easy to just use the column to the right of the pounds/ounces to add another weight.  But as I say, it's going to take some work!

PS: thanks, Dave.  I wasn't sure which forum to place this in.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:27:00 PM by Pilgrim »

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
It would be really easy to just use the column to the right of the pounds/ounces to add another weight.  But as I say, it's going to take some work!

I haven't seen the spreadsheet, but assuming one column has the lbs/oz number, then it's just a matter of adding one formula to convert to kgs in a new column, and then copy the formula into every row in the column.  5 minutes effort, at the most.

Edit: I just noticed the spredsheet is actually attached to the OP.  One question for Pilgrim - does a "9.75" mean 9lbs and 7 and one half oz, or 9 and three quarter pounds?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 04:32:53 PM »
Good guestion
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 08:17:23 PM »
I haven't seen the spreadsheet, but assuming one column has the lbs/oz number, then it's just a matter of adding one formula to convert to kgs in a new column, and then copy the formula into every row in the column.  5 minutes effort, at the most.

Edit: I just noticed the spredsheet is actually attached to the OP.  One question for Pilgrim - does a "9.75" mean 9lbs and 7 and one half oz, or 9 and three quarter pounds?

Good idea...will give that formula setup a try.

The info I have collected is quite variable, but the intent is to give pounds and ounces, so 9.7 = 9 pounds 7 ounces.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
Modifying is was a moderate pain in the ass because I'm not great at formulas in Excel and for some reason I couldn't re-format the pounds/oz column, so I had to modify the cells in batches....but I got the conversion done.  I won't defend any number in the KG column because I just pasted an appropriate formula in all the cells.  It's attached.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:01:31 AM »
I use this conversion site almost every day at work!

http://www.onlineconversion.com/
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 08:17:02 AM »
I pulled the conversion factor from an online conversion tool, but then had to apply it to the spreadsheet.  There were formatting problems and I was not able to re-format about 400 cells without doing them in small groups. 

As I commented earlier, anyone can pull a weight out of the list and convert it.  Doing it for all 500+ weights took a bit more work.  But perhaps I learned something from the process. 

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:52:39 PM »
If I saw this earlier I could have saved you the trouble. Using Excel's text to columns feature I separated the pounds and ounces into columns, then added a column for the calculated conversion to kilograms, using the conversion site provided by Denis I created a formula to multiply the ounces field by 0.028349523125 and add the pounds field by 0.45359237.

The formula looks like this: =I5*0.45359237+J5*0.028349523125

It took less time that typing this reply. There are some that are wrong still; is 8.75 supposed to be eight and three quarter pounds or eight pounds seven and a half ounces, certainly not eight pounds and seventy-five ounces. In those cases I removed the 5 so they might be close, or they might be light.