Author Topic: Decal logo on EB0.. what year?  (Read 1514 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Decal logo on EB0.. what year?
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:54:35 AM »
Some of you must have noticed an EB0 project bass on ebay, white with bare wood neck, listed as a 1959 model.
I asked the seller if there was a serial number, pointing out that there was no sg shaped EB0's in 1959, but the answer was just
plain and simple, 'no'. I think it's been around for a while, but it's still relisted as a '59 and the seller's got good feedback.
I do like the early necks, so I'm somewhat interested. I dont think it's fake (though not a '59), the neck heel is early 60's correct,
but I noticed it has a gold decal logo.

Does anybody know how to date by decal vs. pearl insert logo's on early gibsons?
I checked out Jules sites but the 'logo' section was still under construction..

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Decal logo on EB0.. what year?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:07:20 AM »
Here are the logos and serial numbers on my EBOs

AFAIK, no decal on EBs from 53-67 at least.  This is my '60 NOT SG shaped EBO, originally with banjos.

Serial number is an ink stamp.  First number, zero, is the year.

My '65 EBO serial is stamped with punches. Supposedly this began in '61 with the change to SG solid body style.  Logo is an inlay.

My early '67, also has pearl inlay and punch stamp serial.

I bought a used SG Junior guitar around '65 and remember IT having a gold decal logo.  Even then I thought it looked cheap compared to the pearl on the EBO.

What's the EBay listing?

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »
Sorry, tried to attach link, here it is (I think)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161090173541?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I´m not sure how to add pictures without attaching files either. There is just not room in my head for understanding
such modern things as computers...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »
Possibly the decal was added during one of the refins.  It appears to have had had at least 2, maybe 3 judging by the black and red paint on the back of the headstock.  It's missing the truss rod or at least the end of it.  All in all, perfect for a "59 SG bass" that never existed.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:33 AM »
You're right about the neck joint being early 60s, and the control cavity size is also early 60s. I don't know about the decal, though.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:27:24 AM »
Ok, thanks so far. There is no crown inlay either, obviously...
I´ll pass on this one, maybe he will re-list it with a lower BIN if it´s not sold this auction.
It would fit my ´eb with lo impedance in mid-and-neck-position ´just fine..

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
Possibly the decal was added during one of the refins.  It appears to have had had at least 2, maybe 3 judging by the black and red paint on the back of the headstock.

My guess is that a decal might have been easier than mimicing the original approach to replicating the pearl logo - wherein the black lacquer defines the letters on top of the pearl inlay.

You can see the squarish outline of the slab-o-pearl under the lacquer on my old 69 EB-0: