Author Topic: '62 EB0 good deal or not ?  (Read 2544 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
'62 EB0 good deal or not ?
« on: August 07, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »
 Back when I was a kid and didn't know a Thunderbird from a EB3 there was a EB0 just like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/111025231427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 in the used case at the House of Guitars. I would just drool and imagine myself playing it on some big stage someday. It had the unobtainable price of $400.00 on the tagger, it sat there for years and I would visit it often. Sometime in the mid 80's it disappeared, I was heart broken. I have lusted after one of these since god knows when, the prices on some seem silly to me but this one though it has some issues seems like it could be a bargain. I offered $1,000 and it was declined, should I bump up a bit or let it go?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: '62 EB0 good deal or not ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:16:09 PM »
I paid $1k for my unbroken '65 in '06.  All original including case, pots, thumbrest, handrest,TR cover etc.  Has some checking and fading on the front but in better shape than that one.

If you really want one, give me a call!

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
I paid $900.00 for my 1968 around 2007, it needed a handrest & a case.

I think the bakelite pickup cover makes it! Warpdrive is usually quite expensive, this is cheap for them............... :-\
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
 Beautiful basses guys! But the black pup cover is a almost have to have............................
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
screw holes are a deal killer for me...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 05:38:44 PM »
I think a grand today is plenty fair.  But I never thought i would say that either.

I am fascinated by 3D printing though, so if anyone knows about it I will let you scan away my black pup cover to print up one.  Then you can dress it up.  The holes don't match up though, but it looks fun.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 06:01:31 PM »
Your offer isn't unreasonably low and their price isn't unreasonably high. I'd offer $1200.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
The black pickup cover is a must!  I paid $650 for this 1961 EB0 2 years ago.  It was modded with a Badass bridge though.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 02:53:25 AM »
Now that was a great deal! Just what I'm looking for! The auction runs 25 days if it's still around I may offer him a grand again........................or maybe $900 ;)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 03:11:33 AM »
Don't be silly Scott. You don't need a short scale mud monster that cannot be intonated.
You'll never use it.

:popcorn:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
All of those guys up there got good deals (below going rate IMHO), and with the exception of  Hörnisse, the price comparison is not appropriate anyway due to being a different era of EBO (black pup earlier ones are much more desirable - only the LP Doublecut body shape ones are worth more.... and boy, would I love one of those unobtainable things... keep hoping a really trashed/bad refin will come along).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:20:41 AM »
Don't be silly Scott. You don't need a short scale mud monster that cannot be intonated.
You'll never use it.

:popcorn:

Those cutaways could use some enhancement too. Scott probably saw that.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »
... Scott probably saw that.

Back to your briefs you naughty boy... ;D

Bide your while, Scott... not sure I'd be happy with the damage that beastie has, regardless of a bakelite (ish) pup cover... have you ever tried a favourite food or sweet from your childhood, much later in life, and been somewhat disappointed that it's not quite as good as you remember it...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »
You could always call them direct, it is a retail store (Cream City Music) and it's listed on their website (at $1800!  :o -- as Grog said, they're usually expensive). At least they would save the eBay fees.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
 I have no illusions of this bass becoming my main axe just something I'd love to have in the collection.
Back to your briefs you naughty boy... ;D

Bide your while, Scott... not sure I'd be happy with the damage that beastie has, regardless of a bakelite (ish) pup cover... have you ever tried a favourite food or sweet from your childhood, much later in life, and been somewhat disappointed that it's not quite as good as you remember it...?