Author Topic: Going rate for a Hobbit?  (Read 6279 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Going rate for a Hobbit?
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2013, 09:56:43 AM »
Last time I was in Dave's the only new Gibson basses he had were T-birds but that was before Gibson did all these reissues and new models.

He used to sell Gibsons at well below MAP. Then when Gibson changed their internet sales policy he kicked them out. Then they mended their differences but he wasn't selling at below MAP any more. I wonder if that's changed.

He's always managed to have more Ricks in stock than anyone else too. Even when the guitars were in even shorter supply than the basses, he had a selection.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
I know he was one of Gibson's top sales people when he was still in his original store. Gibson would sell him their prototypes & guitars that didn't meet specs. He would repair them & sell them as used. I see he has at least one of the prototypes in his collection now. He also has quite a few Ric's & PRS guitars in his collection now. I only recalled Fenders & Gibsons before.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2013, 10:12:41 PM »
He has a used Giffin Paxton (guitar) for sale. That was a special run built for an Oregon shop by Roger Giffin, the former Gibson west coast custom shop chief. A lot less money than Giffin's fancier models. Tempting.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2013, 05:33:33 AM »
Those photos were taken at Dave's Guitar Shop in Lacrosse Wisconsin.............. Wish they were mine!!  :sad:

That's more than a decent Gibson collection he has there.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2013, 10:26:23 AM »
That's more than a decent Gibson collection he has there.

Here's Dave's personal Gibson collection.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »
Looks like Dave's Guitar Shop has Dave's Hobbit, (even though the GAS has cooled to a liquid!). It even has an "Evertilt Tune-O-Matic bridge!

http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson/les-paul-bass-early-70s/

She's a beaut.  That's the one you want Dave (too bad about the price, on the high side of fair, but fair nonetheless).

Alo, Uwe has competition?  Whoa.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
I've never even heard of a Giffin Paxton guitar.................. I don't know of anybody else that has that many personal guitars, out for public display as Dave. I don't know of anybody else that has that many personal guitars!! I think he could use a Hobbit and a few Low Impedance guitars in his herd, that's about all that is missing.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2013, 10:16:44 PM »
I've never even heard of a Giffin Paxton guitar.................. I don't know of anybody else that has that many personal guitars, out for public display as Dave. I don't know of anybody else that has that many personal guitars!! I think he could use a Hobbit and a few Low Impedance guitars in his herd, that's about all that is missing.

You haven't heard of that particular model, or do you mean you haven't heard of Giffin? If it's the latter, maybe you missed this thread and a couple of earlier ones. Roger Giffin is a Brit who came to the US, worked for Gibson and is now headquartered in Portland. He has a reputation as a top-notch luthier. The Paxton series was made exclusively for Pro Guitar Shop in Portland.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »
I totally missed that thread, just read it for the first time. Interesting stuff!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2013, 11:58:12 PM »
Dave... why did you post that link to that shop... you know it feeds my OCD...  :o ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...