Author Topic: G.O.T. has left the building.  (Read 8758 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: G.O.T. has left the building.
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 04:23:03 PM »
QR what a ungrateful lot. I seem to remember Dubrow slagging Slade of at every opportunity. I saw QR once that video reminds me what a shite show it was. I guess the only good thing to be said about QR covering Slade is that it financed their come back in the 80's and still continues to pay bills for Holder and Lea. Poor Don and Dave are still out there slogging through the trenches still.

Quiet Riot was probably the worst show I ever saw.  The band opened, the curtain failed to open, and the band literally stopped cold in 30 seconds, and then started over.  Dubrow's voice was one I think I always referred to as sounding like he was arguing with the microphone. Rudy Sarzo, on the other hand, was very friendly and polite.  I mentioned seeing him at Monopoly in Chicago when he was in Shatterstar, and he not only remembered the club, but who was on the bill with them.  I was supposed to take them out and show them a good time while doing the interview. Dubrow raced out of the dressing room, told the band they were leaving and that was it.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
You'll find bigger and better things, Scott!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
Uwe you are correct I did leave once before! I did come back and with the upper hand. Even the upper hand can't fix whats going on now. I won't air it all in public but I will PM you if you want all the gory details.

Please do!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
... Poor Don and Dave are still out there slogging through the trenches still.

Some people don't know when to quit, but then again, it is quite a drug ...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »
Sigh, a bunch of Brummies who gave these guys a living.

"So you think my singing's out of time ...
Well, it makes me money ..."

That's almost as good as Marc Bolan's irresistible

"I've got a Rolls Royce ...
Cause it's good for my voice ..."

At that point in the early 80s, MTV could make almost any song popular by showing it a quadrillion times.  That's what happened with Quiet Riot.  As an observer, though, it was a little bewildering at times.  I was not a fan. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
 Don and Dave need the money, Holder and Lea live of the royalties.
Some people don't know when to quit, but then again, it is quite a drug ...
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2013, 05:16:06 AM »
I didn't think Quiet Riot were horrible. In their heyday they could entertain, there was worse stuff out there, DuBrow was both visually and vocally immediately recognizable and Sarzo was a hotter-than-most (and I don't mean his looks though they certainly helped QR's mass appeal) bassist/poser, Cavazo not as obnoxious a shredder than most, Banali could hold a rhythm. When they were just about to break they were on a German heavy metal TV festival show together with Judas Priest, Ozzy, Scorpions, what have you. They were the freshest band of them all and held their ground. Their debut (not counting the Randy Rhoads stuff for Sony) is IMHO a minor classic of the then LA glam/hair metal scene. "Metal Health" still draws a nostalgic smile to my face today. It's mindless, but pleasantly so.

I remember reading that DuBrow was unaware of Slade or Noddy Holder's existence at the time of the recording of that debut, he said he patterned himself after Steve Marriott. It was the producer who said "You sound like the guy from Slade" and recommended covering a Slade song. Given how little Slade meant in the US while Humble Pie ruled the stadiums for a while I tend to believe that.

Jim Lea said that the success of "Cum on feel the noize" as the QR-remake bought him a nice house, he has no complaints except that he said "They did not so much cover as rerecord it!".
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2013, 07:40:35 AM »
It's all a matter of taste and probably a good idea to try and respect other people's taste.  Around that same time period, Golden Earring's Twilight Zone video was also being played a lot.  I totally loved that.  I think Quiet Riot came out slightly later, I just wasn't interested at all.  For one thing, Kevin DuBrow looked totally insane.  I realize, of course, that that was just part of the act.  Nevertheless, though, I just didn't like it.  Also, his vocals on "Cum On Feel the Noize" sound kind of forced to me.  But they were successful.  So, it looks like they knew what they were doing, even if some people (like myself) didn't appreciate it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »
I remember reading that DuBrow was unaware of Slade or Noddy Holder's existence at the time of the recording of that debut, he said he patterned himself after Steve Marriott

Thud....

I would never have caught that.  DuBrow really doesn't have any soul or expression in his vocals.   :rolleyes:

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
As an observer, though, it was a little bewildering at times.  I was not a fan.

I'm with ya there. The first time I heard QR was on some TV show, and I could hardly believe what I was seeing. This thinning haired dork running around with a striped mic stand, and that overly raspy voice. And the poseur bass player. And the guitarist who wasn't particularly good. I thought the song was dumb as f%*k too. Then they got famous...  :rolleyes: Now I'll admit - I was a huge KISS fan. But that happened when I was 12. By the time QR came along, I was probably 19 and heavy into prog and fusion. I did find it interesting how much hair DuBrow grew later in life.  ;D  ;) I eventually learned to appreciate Sarzo as a showman, and pretty good, solid riff-meister, though I thought he really overdid the showman part. But that was the times...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »
I saw Quiet Riot at the Starwood, Hollyweird, in early '77, second billed to VH with a band called Wolfgang 3rd billed (changed their name and had a 1 hit metal/hair anthem career in the early 80s with VH help. I can't remember the name change or the song title, happens more and more these daze).  QR stank, most especially Dubrow who in addition to not being able to sing was really obnoxious onstage.  Even back then he had a receding hairline and basically looked like Ronald MacDonald.

That's showbiz BS about being unaware of Slade, QR was doing 'Feel the Noise' way back then. (Slade played the Starwood in '75).  Only decent song in QR's set.  You could dig up Kevin Dubrow and stick him in front of a mic and he'd be as good as he was back then.

Oh, yeah...onward to bigger and better things, Scott!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2013, 09:11:08 AM »

I'll probably drop a couple points for saying this....

I actually like QR's version of the song, if nothing else it fit the times (yes, I like Slade's version better) and I heard more people here in the U.S. metion Slade the ever before, and I thought that to be a good thing in and of itself.............................

I'll not denigrate our forum by posting Oasis' cover of the song.................Detestable.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2013, 10:36:58 AM »
I'll probably drop a couple points for saying this....

I actually like QR's version of the song, if nothing else it fit the times (yes, I like Slade's version better) and I heard more people here in the U.S. metion Slade the ever before, and I thought that to be a good thing in and of itself.............................

I'll not denigrate our forum by posting Oasis' cover of the song.................Detestable.

I took that as a challenge...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2013, 11:14:05 AM »
Yikes, too much skin, except for the TWINS!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »

Gary, I'll find out where you live.........  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...