Author Topic: Warmoth TBird project  (Read 3196 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Warmoth TBird project
« on: July 05, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
This is my last “project” bass for a while (I think) but it is one I’m happy with. I am going to start with a disclaimer: I know some of you have strong feelings about the Warmoth T-bird body as well as Fender type pickups on a Gibson style body, but I’m not a purist so it doesn’t bother me.
I had ordered a Carvin “Fender” style neck with an ebony board, no inlays, and paddle headstock, Jazz width. My initial plan was to cut my own style headstock on it and install the neck on my Epi Goth rebuild. But…I ended up buying this Warmoth body from a guy on TB so my plans changed. I loved the trans red finish on this and I thought the wood grain looked nice too. Below is a parts list that the seller had in his listing:

Warmoth Transparent Red Mahogany with Raised Center Block
Hipshot A Bridge
EMG PJX & EMG Pre-Amp
Warmoth Pearlized White Pickguard
Miscellaneous Parts (black strap pins and Schaeller strap locks, black electrosocket input jack, double 9v battery boxes, Fender ferrules)

I also added Gotoh tuners and my own headstock logo. The original neck had been installed with the Fender 3 bolt plate but that made me nervous because the neck pocket doesn’t have some of the side support that a typical Fender pocket would have, so I had the neck installed with stainless threaded inserts just for added security (probably not needed but I feel better about it). After doweling the original neck pocket screw holes Joe (Chromium) helped me touch up the finish with his trans red stain and super glue and I sanded that back to smooth. I had a custom neckplate made with the Bacardi bat on it, which didn’t totally cover the original screw holes but since that is on the back I don’t really care about that. My luthier did all of the dirty work of shaping the headstock, painting, clear coat, installing the threaded inserts, etc.
The headstock didn’t turn out exactly as I hoped but I do like it overall. The original idea I had was to merge a Non-reverse headstock with the Epi Batwing shape. Due to size issues I had to scale it back and ended up taking a cue from Reverends headstock design and altered it. The headstock is narrower than I would have liked but on the plus side it doesn’t neck dive at all.

I’m still getting used to the EMG setup (haven’t had an active bass in many years) but so far it does sound good to my ears. The good thing with the p-j setup is I have tons of options if I ever want to change the pickups. So far I’m happy with this bass. It’s comfortable, hangs nicely, plays nice, looks good, and has some personal touches to it. I will post some pictures but photobucket isn’t letting me upload some of the better shots I have of the bass.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:24:30 PM by Nokturnal »
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Warmoth TBird project
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:46:40 PM »
 That looks sweet! reminds me of the 80's Hamer Thunderbirds. I like the Warmoth bodies you can get to the upper register on them ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:08:05 PM »
 8)

The colour reminds me (almost spot on) of the colour the PC was when I first got the beastie... the name's a nice touch...

Bat...err, sorry... but my only complaint is that we never got the photo-diary blow-by-blow account of the gory details...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »
No real details to share other than what I wrote above. This project was mostly "hands free" for me. The neck pocket did need to be routed a little to properly fit the neck. Carvin claims it is a direct replacement for Fender pockets, but not this one. The neck did fit perfectly on another TBird body I have with a "Fender Pocket" tho so maybe it was just the Warmoth pocket that Carvin necks don't fit quite right??
Scott, it reminds me a bit of the Hamer Birds too.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »
Man that came out great!  I look forward to trying this out, as well as the refin Epi.

:toast:

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
Thanks Joe  :toast:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »

Andy, it looks great!   :toast:

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 05:26:45 PM »
I bet that is one great sounding bass!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 02:11:41 AM »
Wow, looks great!  I'm no purist either when I am hacking around in my shop!  I'm sure there's no lack of output on this one!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:52:05 AM »
Very nice, Andy!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:21:43 AM »
Thanks guys  ;D  It does have a ton of output but doesn't sound as "sterile" as I was expecting from EMG's.