Author Topic: Walnut Bird  (Read 5861 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Walnut Bird
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 09:21:46 AM »
Didn't bi-centennial birds look like that?  It's how I remember them.

As far as I know, they were all burst, black, white, or natural - no stain. And with chrome hardware.  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 09:37:33 AM »
They "walnutted" over time as the clear gloss yellowed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:43:45 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 10:04:24 AM »
That's the truth, everything else is just rose-tinted nostalgia. Grabber II, Ripper II and the G-3 Tribute are all better-made than their ancestors and sound rounder, more consistent and more assertive too.

Aside from the build quality item (which I am skeptical about given the amount of fit/finish complaints on new Gibsons we see around here, but I can't speak to personally.... the few vintage Rippers/Grabbers/G3s I have seen were damn solid, though I suppose 40 years of use can hide finish imperfections), isn't any judgement about the sound completely subjective?

I mean, I love vintage mud.  The new SG bass sounds great, but my vintage EB3 does a thing I really like that the SG can't. Yes the SG is more versatile and sounds 'better' in a typical this-is-how-we-bass way, but when you have multiple instruments, I would think that a certain specialization is actually more useful than having a bunch of jack of all trades, and I don't particularly care to sound like anybody (everybody) else anyway (I go to great lengths not to). Since the pups are so different on these updated G-series models (not reissues, given the "II" moniker - I appreciate them making this distinction) this may very well be an improvement in many ways (technically; on paper etc), but those old ripper pups (mini-muds as they were sidewinders) had their own special thing, which some people may legitimately prefer, as did the original (Bill Lawrence) G3 pups (I really love those, the new ones may be very good too, I haven't tried them yet). To chalk it up to pure nostalgia is not entirely fair.  Though I understand their decision (being different has not served Gibson so well in the bass market historically), I do think that Gibson is missing an opportunity here by letting these old pup designs languish unused (could they not be updated and improoved with modern materials and manufacturing but still retain a basic character and advantages of the original vs  a completely differant design?).  There is a market for them as clearly shown by consistently rising ebay prices on vintage units as well as clone reissues by other makers.  Gibson has been one of the most innovative companies as regards bass pups and it's a shame that they are abandoning much of that heritage to try to be more Fender/Musicmanish (this is, paradoxically, also something that has historically not always worked out for them so well).  

Also, I find that 'round' and 'assertive' are, if not quite mutually exclusive descriptors,  not exactly things that are easily reconciled in my mind, so your description is a little confusing.  To me, round means mellow in a sine wavey way, with good bass response and extension, while assertive conjures thoughts of mid-forwardness, maybe even a little aggressive brightness or clank.  I have a hard time imagining a sound that is both of these things. .. but that's the eternal problem with descriptions of tone.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:09:34 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »
Sometimes a non-round sounding bass can be really assertive, granted. But TB Plus pups offer lower bass than their predecessors and more sophisticated presence while at the same time retaining mid-range crunch and boom. So they get themselves heard without stepping on anybody's frequency toes. Anybody ever tried playing a Bicentennial and competing with a double-bass drum attack?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »
Anybody ever tried playing a Bicentennial and competing with a double-bass drum attack?

Actually I have, in a very loud heavy metal band. It cut through like a hot knife through butter. Both my Bicentennials are like that. It amazes me when I hear some of you guys say they don't.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 01:44:55 PM »
It amazes me when I hear some of you guys say they don't.

I think a lot of that depends on the amp and cabinet. When I got SWR cabinets in the 90's my Thunderbirds didn't cut through nearly as much as they did through a sealed 8X10, even with the same head (GK800RB). These days I have a sealed Ampeg 4X10 and a ported SWR Goliath 4X10. Totally different sounds. To my ears, a Thunderbird through a sealed cabinet and plenty of power (tube head or not) and I hear it just fine.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 02:01:46 PM »

Yep, thru my GK's my '76's have plenty of everything, typically I'm dialing the bass back to noon, with the low mids at 1:00, there's way more than enough volume with a 700RBII.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...