Author Topic: Can I bitch about something?  (Read 3829 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: Can I bitch about something?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
welcome to the biz.  That garbage happens all the time.  secret is to just role with it.  Sounds like your kid was totally  cool about it.. that is great.  Can't tell you how may times i have seen guys totally melt down over stuff like that

My dad had to drive me to my first gigs when i was 15 as i had no license ,  car etc.    He didn't play an instrument but was totally cool about it and my parents would usually stay for a set.    Boy that was a long time ago.  i hadn't thought about about that   :-*
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
Yup - they saw no cash from this last gig, HOWEVER...the headliner from that night contacted them and asked them to open more shows (at better venues) throughout the rest of the year - plus there are some side projects that they want to get the kids involved with.

The kids got some decent audio/video from that night (for a website they're trying to put together) AND they found a lead guitarist, which will allow Chris to focus on Rhythm Guitar, writing and vocals.
We'll take the trade-off any day.
Best of all, they're all smiling and having a blast...and I get to see my basses on stage.

That trade-off is fine as long as they weren't misled. If they had been promised cash and then got stiffed, IMHO that wouldn't be okay even if there were other benefits.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »
That trade-off is fine as long as they weren't misled. If they had been promised cash and then got stiffed, IMHO that wouldn't be okay even if there were other benefits.
Agreed. After talking with the kids, there was a lot of ambiguity regarding what parameters would have to be met before money rolled down to the 3rd band.

I kind of suspected that someone would get a royal rogering pay-wise and since the club is closing its doors (for reasons that are not limited to this kind of practice) at the end of the month, we're not sweating it. It blows, but it's stage time for a young band and lessons learned by everyone, including the 'ol man.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
Try driving 800 miles and finding there's no gig waiting.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
Try driving 800 miles and finding there's no gig waiting.

That would blow.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 06:45:01 PM »
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 04:25:11 AM »
What venue in Raleigh is involved here?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 06:34:01 AM »
What venue in Raleigh is involved here?

The Berkeley Cafe' on Martin St.
Unfortunately, they're shutting down the stage area and turning into a private smoker's lounge at the end of June.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »
York didn't renew Berkeley's lease on the stage area so it's being turned into a smoke shop. With all the bad press tobacco gets we need another smoke shop.  :P
Berkeley will revert to the old layout, with capacity for maybe 100 guests for shows (my guess is fewer than that).

Sorry to hear about the BS but it's cool your son pulled it off!

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.