Author Topic: Explorer mods and cons  (Read 873 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Explorer mods and cons
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:43:46 AM »
I guess this is aimed mainly at Uwe as he has the same Epi Explorer as I just purchased. Which I am really enjoying playing BTW.

Here is Uwes Epi

Here is mine

From what I can tell both basses have identical hardware and fittings even though some of mine are a little bit worn like the strap holders. His apparently has T-Bird plus pups, mine are the original Epi's at the moment. Cant tell if Uwe's  bass has top hat knobs or not from the pics.

Then I saw the bass down the bottom.

Which obviously does not have the brass nut, has a different bridge and black scratch plate. Also the knobs are black and not top hat style like mine.

How much of this bottom bass is original and how much would be after market mods... anyone?

Gotta say I do like the black scratch plate and knobs  ;D

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:35:36 AM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Explorer mods and cons
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:50:55 AM »
I think just the bridge on that one.  They did come with white guards, but I do recall them with black at some point.  Maybe back in the collapse of Mars Music days.  They do turn up often enough, and I should have got one ages ago.  I think I like the cream paint more as the "korina" is veneer, and they did varying quality jobs at making the top and sides blend.  Some of them look really nice, and you have to get up close to see the seem, but some they used different toned strips, and you can tell a mile away.  Or 2 plus km.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Explorer mods and cons
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:27:07 AM »
Mine has speed knobs. The cream fin was allegedly a limited run. You certainly don't see it around a lot. That said, I would have probably gone for the korina veneer had that been available in Germany at the time.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...