Author Topic: Before and after pics of military airfields on Hawaii.  (Read 451 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Before and after pics of military airfields on Hawaii.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »
That's a fascinating site...

We are littered with abandoned and built over airfields, even the big ones...

Heathrow has two runways - look at an aerial shot and you can still see where the other four of the six have gone...

I have a biography of Colonel James Stewart's career in the military and within it is one of my all time favourite pictures - he is standing on the remains of the runway he operated from in WWII, his back to the camera, the shot taken from a very low position - black and white - the darkness of the "blue" sky, the lighter "green" of the grass, the pale contrast of the concrete, and his silhouette... not been able to find it online at present... something I intend to scan and print; maybe colourised Warhol fashion, maybe just b&w...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Before and after pics of military airfields on Hawaii.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »
Found a similar picture of him but it's a larger and wider shot... It's a Getty image so posting the link only...

Standing on the runway with only his memories...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...