Author Topic: 3 point bridge question  (Read 6374 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: 3 point bridge question
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »
Both of my 'birdies (one Gibson, one Epi) have three-point bridges, ad does my Epi EB-0+1 - never had any real issues with them, other than the saddle grooves having been deepened by the previous owner of my Bicentennial. My '68 EB-0 and '72 EB-3 both had the Evertilt 2-stud, with the '72 being upgraded to a Supertone 2. I plan to do the same to the '68 one of these days - the Hipshot bridge is a work of art, and a lifesaver in certain applications.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 07:31:20 PM »
Different strokes  ;)

I have three points on at least 7 of my basses, including two Thunderbirds with broken twisted necks, there's very little it can't do........Plus it doesn't hang over the side of the center block (ugh, no thank you!)  You couldn't pay me to put a Supertone on any of my basses  :-*

I never noticed they are bigger than the center block until you mentioned it. I don't have a T bird but I prefer my super tone 2 point on my EB3 over the bar bridge.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 08:40:29 PM »
Another thing that was quite large was the Jagdpanther. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 02:49:05 AM »
I have the Supertone installed on my white Bicentennial. I've never had a problem with any 3-point bridge but in this case with the white bird I had the bridge down to the bottom and had to adjust the neck relief every once in a while depending on humidity to get the action where I wanted it. I tried the Supertone and now I have a little bit extra room downwards. I don't particularly like the looks of it (no big issue though) on the 'bird so I actually have bought a set of saddles (Allparts. Have'nt checked if they fit yet) that are'nt as tall as the Gibson originals. I think the Supertone will eventually end up sitting on the ebony RD Artist instead. The modern work of art would be better suited on that one (not thatitI really needs it).

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 03:24:27 AM »
NEVERTILT, the simple solution.  Almost a year under tension and going strong.  Individual string height adjustment, clears the silk and allows the action "under the frets".

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=6983.0

Hey Doombass, I'd love to see some pix of your white BiCentennial, rare breed!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »
Nice mod Carlo! I missed that thread. Here's pics of my whitey. It's unfortunately a refin and it's beat up in a couple of places but plays and sounds perfect.

Original bridge pic:

Hipshot installed:

(almost) Full shot together with the Sunburst:

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
The only thing missing from this thread is Uwe singing their praises... that and tanks, WWII, the occasional aviation reference, some rolling-stock... (fades to black)

...and some pics of the Greco!  C'mon!
:toast:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »

Well, here's mine!

I love this bass, I think of it as being the little one, because it's not quite 34"scale. As a player it's nice, the neck is a bit more like a P Bass than a T Bird..........I can't speak for anybody else's but this one RAWRS

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »
Here's mine.
The neck is kinda chunky yes.
I've been contemplating on sanding it a little narrower, but I haven't got the nerve to do it...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »

My '77 Greco. Mark describes the sound perfectly.

steveonbass

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 09:07:04 PM »

...and some pics of the Greco!  C'mon!
:toast:

Here is my Greco.  I owned it 6 years ago and I am psyched to own it again.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »
I guess the Greco production line was pretty consistent then.  My Greco T-bird II also has the big neck and a hot pickup.  Looking at the neck again, there's not a great deal of taper from top to bottom.  The chunkiness at the nut is the reason I don't consistently use my Greco.  The skinny 1-1/2" Gibson neck feels much better to me.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 03:25:53 PM »
I guess the Greco production line was pretty consistent then.  My Greco T-bird II also has the big neck and a hot pickup.  Looking at the neck again, there's not a great deal of taper from top to bottom.  The chunkiness at the nut is the reason I don't consistently use my Greco.  The skinny 1-1/2" Gibson neck feels much better to me.

That's exactly how I feel about mine - nicely said!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
What can I say? I'm fine with a three point and it is pretty much self-explanatory in setting up. Yes, the Supertone offers more options and goes a little lower, bit more sustain too and is not even a bad looking bridge though I prefer the airy look of the three point floating on its posts. I have the Supertone only on one three-point bass and not because it needed it, but because I wanted to try it on one bass, the Blackbird which looks good (= mean) with the Supertone. I also have the Supertone on my pimped Epi Explorer, but that didn't have a three point in the first place.

OTOH, I have the replacement two point bridge Supertone on at least three of my two point bridge basses.

As midseventies and earlier bridges go which are not Fender knock-offs, I think the three-point has stood the test of time.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 04:07:13 PM »
This thread needs a Casady 3-point picture.....here's mine!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."