Author Topic: White Falcon / LP Jumbo hybrid project  (Read 1216 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
White Falcon / LP Jumbo hybrid project
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:14:16 AM »
Posting this miostly becauseone of you (or at least someone from the old Pit), and I now can't recall exactly who, gave me the pup I'm using in this project (and just asked to see what came of it).  Thanks for that.

Anyway, after dragging my feet on this for a few years (had a kid, built a studio, effed it up a few times and had to start over etc) here is Maude:

That's a low impedance Les Paul humbucker (gold version from the L5S guitar) wired straight to the jack.  I still have to build the external passive pedal preamp circuit with volume, bass, treble and varitone/decade controls  as well as an impedance transformer (so pretty much the same as the original LP Jumbo/Recording curcuit, with some minor mods).  As it is now it will only work well plugged into a mic input; luckily I have an old Bogen amp with 1/4" unbalanced lo-Z inputs; sounds glorious.

Strung her up with Pyramid Flats (still gotta intonate; round core strings so gotta wait until they stretch and settle in to trim the ends or they can slip) and might have to shim the nut.  Happy to find the tension of these strings isn't bowing the neck out at all really (no TR adjustment).  I love how she is so hifi and dreadnaught acoustic like when plugged in (way bassier actually; I need that passive bass control), but a dirty. midrange-aggressive blues box when unplugged.

The body is a 60s Harmony that I found at the closing sale of a local shop and had already been refinished in a much too thick white Polyurethane - looked hot but absolutely no bass response; completely stiffled the body resonance (so it had to go).  That alone took me an entire summer, including the better part of a cottage weekend.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: White Falcon / LP Jumbo hybrid project
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 01:39:21 AM »
Beautiful

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:20:40 AM »
Very pretty and special!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 09:05:34 AM »
Thanks guys.

Jr loves it much more than the jr nylon string I keep at home for us to play with.  He's already snobby about guitars (he also prefferred my Loar archtop to the jr nylon), but with this one there's the added 'I helped daddy fix it' factor.  Easy and fun way for The Wiff to keep us both busy and out of trouble for an an afternoon.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)