Author Topic: Modified Embassy on CL Minneapolis  (Read 3507 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: Modified Embassy on CL Minneapolis
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 04:46:56 AM »
By any chance....do you have any EXTRA nickel T bird pickups??? I need one..

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 09:21:22 AM »
All maho basses make nice fretlesses.

Unfortunately that's not true. I had a Hamer Cruisebass back in the 80s that I de-fretted. I never managed to get a good tone out of that thing. Different strings, different pickups, nothing helped. I even considered one of those brass plates for the back of the headstock, but never bothered. I sold it and eventually had my alumi-Kramer de-fretted. Now THAT one kills!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »
That Hamer was maho neck and body?  :o
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »
That Hamer was maho neck and body?  :o

The first series Cruise Basses were all Mahogany.  I like the earliest ones with the West German Schaller branded tuners best!  8)  (they went to Hamer branded tuners/bridges around 1983)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
It arrived safely yesterday. It's definately 1.5" at the nut. The back cover hids a huge counterweight that the bridge id through bolted to. That will probably be the first thing to go as I prefer light weight to lack of neck dive. There was a very slight bit of routing for the jazz pickups, but not enough to show if the proper pickups and trim rings were installed. There is a problem with the wiring though; turning down either volume control down completely turns down both pickups. With the volumes up though it sounds great.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »
Unfortunately that's not true. I had a Hamer Cruisebass back in the 80s that I de-fretted. I never managed to get a good tone out of that thing. Different strings, different pickups, nothing helped. I even considered one of those brass plates for the back of the headstock, but never bothered. I sold it and eventually had my alumi-Kramer de-fretted. Now THAT one kills!

Same with my Guild b402 fretless with a mahogany body. Just a dead sounding bass.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »
It's hard to say anything about the mods without really knowing what state the bass started in.  If the seller started with a shell, then it's fair game from there, but I wouldn't have done DiMarzio pups.

What did you end up paying for it?  The body seems to be in really good shape, however, and completely intact.

From the previous owner:

"guitar had been stripped of all hardware (including frets) when i bought it in 1985.  my intent was to have a fretless that played (and sounded) like my fender jazz so adjusting between songs would be a little more seamless.  the entire guitar had been extensively slathered with exterior enamel paint.  i was able to salvage the serial number - which i needed to provide to the retired master inspector of epiphone production to order the head stock logo.  during refinishing, the serial number became lost and i've since misplaced the envelope i put it in some 25 years ago."

I bought it for $1000.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
You got it for an excellent price. Wiring is fixable and pickups can be replaced with something you want.