Author Topic: The best sounding basses  (Read 5986 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: The best sounding basses
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 07:34:11 AM »
Well, after putzing around with numerous basses I have finally realized that I have some wonderful instruments and there are a couple standouts among them.  I've been looking for that near-perfect combination of tone, output and playability in my basses and here's what I've discovered:

Solid bodies:  my 92 T-Bird reverse Special Edition is the best IMHO in a 34" scale.  Easy to play and wear and both kick butt.  My bandmates love it, too.

Solid SS:  The 72 Triumph takes the prize here.  Great tone and a breeze to play.  A bit heavy, but that's manageable.

Hollow body:  First place is my Hofner Club.  Sounds great and is a gem to wear and play.  I can even get a nice mid-high range tone out of it to cut through the racket created by my bandmates.  

So, these are the basses showing up to practice and gigs these days.  I could easily live with the TB and the Club and nothing else!

What's your favorite/s?  

EB1 especially when played through a cranked up Sunn 2000s
How'd the EB3L you were working on turn out? I was thinking about disengaging the tone choke from the circuit in my EB3 and was wondering how the two pickups would blend without it.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 08:41:57 AM »
Pinning it down is tough - everything I own has a practical use, believe it or not.
The bass I go to most is my Frankenstein P-Bass copy with the Thunderbird bridge pickup. The Swiss Army Bass - except it's green...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 01:18:29 AM »
I have to go with Gary. My 60's Embassies are Great! Though my Ripper, with T-bird pup, is the one my bandmates likes best. Fantastic sound.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 06:04:35 AM »
EB1 especially when played through a cranked up Sunn 2000s
How'd the EB3L you were working on turn out? I was thinking about disengaging the tone choke from the circuit in my EB3 and was wondering how the two pickups would blend without it.

I haven't touched the EB-3L since last year.  I'm working toward retirement and focusing on the band these days.  Once I retire this summer, I'll hit the shop full steam!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 06:53:42 AM »

I don't have a fave.......

Many different basses = many different brushes.

Definitely agree. Hard to compare a Vox hollowbody teardrop --  to a 60s TBird -- to a Hamer 8 or 12 string -- to a fretless PBass or upright or an acoustic. They all have their niche that the others cannot fill.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 08:38:20 AM »
This question makes my brain hurt.  :-\
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:42 AM »
Leftybass hit the nail on the head. I am glad no one has started a post where if the house caught on fire which one would you grab!? Remember only one, cause your wife, boyfriend, dog, parrot or family album is in your other hand! Whew

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
Great comments guys!   ;D  I wasn't trying to challenge you to compare.  I was asking about your favorites.  I still love my NR and 4003, but the 92 TB is just my favorite sounding andplaying.  Same with hollowbodies.  I really like my Gretsch, but the Hofner Club outshines it IMHO.  So, one bass isn't inherently better or comparable to another.  What's important is which ones do we love to play!

Take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning!   :toast:
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »
Yes, the term "favorites" can be slippery.  What is most comfortable for me to play in practice may not be what I choose for a gig. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
For a favorite bass I'm looking for all these aspects in one bass. Comfortable to play, great sound, reliable, cool ,etc.

That is why my Greco Tbird is not my favorite bass. It has a killer sound. But it is not very comfortable to play. The neck is a little chunky.
Or why my Epi Newport is not my favorite. It is comfortable to play, but the sound just doesn't work very well in the bands that I'm in.
That doesn't mean I hate them. Far from it.
But there can be only one No.1 bass.  8)