Author Topic: The best sounding basses  (Read 5987 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
The best sounding basses
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:54:35 AM »
Well, after putzing around with numerous basses I have finally realized that I have some wonderful instruments and there are a couple standouts among them.  I've been looking for that near-perfect combination of tone, output and playability in my basses and here's what I've discovered:

Solid bodies:  my 92 T-Bird reverse Special Edition is the best IMHO in a 34" scale.  Easy to play and wear and it kicks butt.  My bandmates love it, too.

Solid SS:  The 72 Triumph takes the prize here.  Great tone and a breeze to play.  A bit heavy, but that's manageable.

Hollow body:  First place is my Hofner Club.  Sounds great and is a gem to wear and play.  I can even get a nice mid-high range tone out of it to cut through the racket created by my bandmates.  

So, these are the basses showing up to practice and gigs these days.  I could easily live with the TB and the Club and nothing else!

What's your favorite/s?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:03:48 AM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: The best sounding basses
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:00:12 AM »
I think you know where I'll be going with this one....

'63 Epiphone Embassy!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:42:02 AM »
my 2 favorites are my Triumph and my Ric 4003.  

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »
Modified Ric 4003S. Pretty much does it all!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »
 I think everyone here will know what I have to say. Anyone of my '60s Nonreverse Thunderbirds. At a even tie is my Cataldo NR, with the Thunderbucker Max it really kills. I love my '75 Walnut Fender Precision for a change of bass though I could never use it for more than a few songs. For SS hollow bodies I love my Kliras.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 09:03:41 AM »
The basses that have been coming to practice are my Squier Bronco with the Gretsch 2202 pickup, my Squier Mikey Way with the passive humbucker, and my Gretsch 5123 hollowbody (now with rounds re-installed).

So my Casady, my actual '63 P-bass, 70's Univox hollowbody and a few others are mostly on their stands.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »
There are only 2 basses left in the house for me, and you all know my long-time love of the Embassy.  The other bass is my fanfret Precision, which I use for the drop D at church.

Of the various basses I've had, while I'd love to have them all back (except the Vox Mark IV), I find that I don't miss them.  If I could have any of them back, I'd have to go with the Guild M-85 semi-hollow I had.  Close runners up would be the Epi EB-1 fretless project I did and the Magnatone Hurricane.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »

I don't have a fave.......

Many different basses = many different brushes. I'm no artist but I do enjoy variety.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »
I have to concur with TBird58, however there are a few where the cream rises to the top in terms of tone, feel and must keeps for me:
Long Scale: Celinder P Vin, Fender Precision Special (maple jazz neck, p/j pups), Gibson Les Paul Signature, Ampeg AUB Fretless.
SS: Gibson SG (faded mahogany, it surprised the hell out of me how good it sounded and felt), Hofner 1958 reissue Ltd. edition..this sounds like none of the other Hofners), Hofner Club (violin varnish, close spaced pups), Silvertone something or other.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »
I know I'm getting rather predictable, but my favorite is  (still) the 1969 Gibson Les Paul Bass.

Runner up is the BaCH Spalted Telecaster Bass. I've been using this one a lot with my other band Definition Of Madmen:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
Fretted is the PC and fretless is the Jazz... err presently my only operational instruments...?

[:rolleyes:] could do better if he tried harder... [/:rolleyes:]

Rob... gotta say they are both first-class shots... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »
For me its my RD Artist, no other bass has the sustain and wild harmonics. You can get any tone you like except a warm mahogany tone.

Thats where my LP Standard comes in. I love its warm biting tone. Plays like buttah.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 05:54:01 PM »
I like and play 'em all (they'd be gone if I didn't!), but the two in this pic always get taken out the most:

1976 Thunderbird (with parallel wiring), and March '73 Ric.  I get (IMO) a very similar sound from both.  For being maho, that bird is really clear and bell-like in the mids.

I recently setup the Ric using the neck-stretching jig I had concocted for the 4003s8 repair, and it suddenly went from thuddy/subdued to bright and zingy!  Same strings... not exactly sure what happened there, other than a happy accident.  I'm certainly liking it!  Makes me not miss my old 78 MG, which always seemed more lively.

The '73 Triumph and '79 Mockingbird seem to be the alternates, and every once in a while I'll get on a EB-3 kick...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 07:47:24 PM »

my other band Definition Of Madmen:

That is oficially the best band name ever!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 12:50:29 AM »
 Thanx! :toast: :thumbsup: