Author Topic: Fender Pro series  (Read 1648 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Fender Pro series
« on: March 15, 2013, 04:57:30 AM »
Well, I stopped by the HOG the other day and saw these brand new Bassman Pro amps and cabs and I really liked the look and sound.  I was really enjoying the Bassman 100 head with six 10" speakers.  Wow, what power and sound.  Tubey goodness with a tube pre-amp!  I really liked the 2 channel set up with one channel clean and the other overdriven with a switch to jump back and forth between them.  They also have a cut power switch on the back to change the output from 100 to 25 watts and a really nice switch to flip between 2, 4 and 8 ohms.  Really nice feature too.  The master volume also has a pull feature for muting.  I am really impressed with the little features and the sound of this beast.

I'm having a bit of a GAS attack!!!

http://www.fender.com/series/bassman-pro/
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Fender Pro series
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 05:32:17 AM »
Would love to try one out!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:24:39 AM »
Found out today that they also come in the old cream covers and deep red speaker cloth.  Soooo cool IMHO!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:31:40 AM by drbassman »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
Well, I stopped by the HOG the other day and saw these brand new Bassman Pro amps and cabs and I really liked the look and sound.  I was really enjoying the Bassman 100 head with six 10" speakers.  Wow, what power and sound.  Tubey goodness with a tube pre-amp!  I really liked the 2 channel set up with one channel clean and the other overdriven with a switch to jump back and forth between them.  They also have a cut power switch on the back to change the output from 100 to 25 watts and a really nice switch to flip between 2, 4 and 8 ohms.  Really nice feature too.  The master volume also has a pull feature for muting.  I am really impressed with the little features and the sound of this beast.

That's a very nice set of features! 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 09:23:23 AM »
That price looks high to me for a 100 watt tube head, especially considering Fender's lack of success with any tube bass head for at least a generation.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:31:38 AM »
That price looks high to me for a 100 watt tube head, especially considering Fender's lack of success with any tube bass head for at least a generation.

I agree.  That's the problem with a new series from Fender.  I suspect there will be bugs and I don't know if I want to be in the front of the line when it happens.  I am seriously thinking I need another 15" cab for my Mesa rig though.

I remember a few years back when shopping for a smaller combo for home practicing and I brought home 2 newly minted Fender bassman combos and they both crapped out, one after the other.  I ended up with a Bassman TV after they'd been out for over a year.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 07:10:31 AM »
I haven't tried any of this new series, but my problem with Fender the last several years is the bang for the buck thing.
I have played several of their reissues and /or old style new amps and I pretty much like most everything I've tried. I haven't jumped up and down saying "oh boy this is great, I've got to have this", but I thought they were good. My problem is that there a dozens of amps out there that are better (IMO) and cost a helluva lot less.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »
Right. Even if this one turns out to be reliable, it's overpriced.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »

Seconded. From a service perspective, these are just as nightmarish as their past recent offerings. I saw the glowing review in Bass Gear magazine and then I saw the detail pictures of the guts. These puppies are just as disposable as a Berhinger or modern Ampeg. While FMIC may have a brilliant design, it still let the beancounters dictate the parts and construction, and not to burst anyone's bubble, but the majority of the tone in the preamp probably has more to do with the 16 IC's in there than the two preamp tubes.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »
I've tried the 100T head, and wasn't impressed - thin, nasally, couldn't get a decent tone out of it.  On the other hand, I've owned the Neo 610 cab for almost a year now and am very impressed with it's tone, build quality, and roadworthiness - the tolex is bullet proof and it's a dead easy cab to lug.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive