Author Topic: New EB2  (Read 13311 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Re: New EB2
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2013, 12:52:40 AM »
Of course, The Outlaws. The man who recommended Ian Gillan to Blackmore and Jon Lord as their new singer following Rod Evans.

And thus caused his own band The Episode Six to split up even after they recruited Johnny Gustafson as a replament for Gillan & Glover. Thankfully it happened 'cause then we got Quatermass.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2013, 06:33:39 AM »
Nope. D'angelico always made Gibson-inspired guitars. The brand was bought last year and is returning. If this is their standard line, it's an import and if the pricing is similar to the archtop guitars already out in that line, it will probably be in the $1200 range. If it's the US masterbuilt line, probably over $10k.

The specs on this one show a 32 1/4" scale. Odd.
Maybe the same company bought the D'Angelico string brand as well and is planning on releasing proprietary strings exclusively for their own basses  ???
http://www.juststrings.com/dangelicoelectricbassguitarstainless.html
I love how all their string packages have to include the word concept.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2013, 11:42:46 AM »
Maybe the same company bought the D'Angelico string brand as well and is planning on releasing proprietary strings exclusively for their own basses  ???
http://www.juststrings.com/dangelicoelectricbassguitarstainless.html
I love how all their string packages have to include the word concept.

I imagine the rights to the strings went with the sale, although from what I've read, they're made by D'addario for D'Angelico. AFAIK Concept is just the name of their electric string line. They've never been a big force in the electric string market but they do sell plenty of strings for acoustic guitars.

Why do you think they would be doing it just for their own basses? Because of the different scale length?

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
Yes, because of the scale length. It's purely conjecture on my part, yet I think it makes good business sense. You can only sell so many basses but you can sell strings repeatedly. Make a bass that uses an unusual winding length and people who are persnickity enough about matching the perfect strings to them will be forced to buy the only available product.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »
That's a good point. Return customers are more valuable than one-time customers.  HP figured this out with printers; the money is in the ink refills.

In my biz (higher ed) the money isn't in recruiting a student to sell them one class, it's to sell a degree - which mean repeated sales for years.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »
Makes sense, maybe they'll do it. There's not a lot of choice when it comes to medium scale strings.