Author Topic: What's my bird worth?  (Read 4367 times)

steveonbass

• View Profile
What's my bird worth?
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:28:42 AM »
I know a lot of you from past forums but seldom post much in any of them anymore.  I have a Gibson specific question and I think this is the best place to ask:

In the wake of a rough year, I really need to unload something to raise $$$ - My Bird is scared - I think I'm gonna have to sell her.

1977 Ebony unbroken T-Bird - very played and for good reason - a great bass!

I think I'm gonna have to sell her

Hard to nail down a concrete value on this bass.  Not a closet queen at all but, unbroken in great players shape

I really appreciate any light anyone can shed upon this question

Whattayathinkshesworth? 

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: What's my bird worth?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »
Couple grand if you find the right buyer. Why not put er up on the block and see how she fares?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:15:08 AM »
It used to be 2.000 bucks as the going Bicentennial rate, now 2.500 to 3.000?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »
Markets in the can now...These were getting 3,500.00 before the crash..My best guess if you put it up on e-bay..maybe 1,600.00 now...
Probably all a broker will pay as well..
Even my beloved 68 thunderbirdIV was going for over 6K before the crash. I would be lucky to get half that now on the open market if I were to sell it..
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 01:14:12 PM »
Ten months ago a member of this forum paid $2500 for an unbroken white Bicentennial. I don't think the market is any worse now.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
Ten months ago a member of this forum paid $2500 for an unbroken white Bicentennial. I don't think the market is any worse now.

That was me...but Gibson only made 136 white Bicentennials (7% of the 1855 total) vs 411 black, 467 natural and 841 sunburst.  IMO, with the original bridge and covers reinstalled this one would be worth more than a black one in similar condition.  I can't remember seeing one for sale broken or not on EBay since I started tracking them 3 or 4 years ago.   

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »
 With the wear, extra hole and no covers I'd say around 2k, could be more could be less. Nice bass I have a black '77 myself. I hope you don't have to sell.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
You've posted more than once here and there's always the no-cost option of considering a price + shipping cost on the for-sale thread, or if someone declares an interest...

Most of us have had issues with the present financial climate - I've chosen to delay certain repairs on gear until I really need it - no shame in it... only hope you can avoid the issue... my choice was the lesser items of my kit when that time came (a 1970 Marshall 50w got me a pristine Squier Jazz, a fretless neck for her, a MAG300 combo, and left spare greens too), rather than a primary item, but times certainly are tough...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 06:04:27 PM »
Last summer, (I think) Bass Northwest sold a black 79 Bird for $1995. I think $2K is probably in the ballpark.

steveonbass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 06:28:03 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughtful and helpful responses.  I really don't want to sell her.  I'm afraid I'd never be able to score one that I like this much.  I have until April 15th to figure it out.

The market is shit now but, I used to buy and sell gear for a living. Fortunately, I sold all the wall-hanger pristine collectable stuff at the peak.  Just players in the stable now.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 08:00:51 AM »
keep getting tax extensions until you don't have to sell it.  ;)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 08:55:15 AM »
I really don't want to sell her.  I'm afraid I'd never be able to score one that I like this much.

A guy on an antique motorcycle forum I used to be on pretty much said the same thing when another member was fretting about selling his Indian. He said, "Bills come and go but once you sell your motorcycle it's gone forever."

Don't sell your T-bird.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »
My experience - if you REALLY like something, don't sell it. The tax extension actually seems like a good idea.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »
The tax extension actually seems like a good idea.

When you file extension request Form 4868 you must pay any tax due or be subject to penalties and interest.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »
Yep, not sure what "tax extension" means since tax is due at filing.
However, an option is to ask the IRS to accept a payment plan. I did this a few years ago and it worked out pretty well. The main thing is to let them know a) what you are doing, b) that you WANT to pay your taxes and c) keep them notified.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.