Author Topic: Urethane finish touch up  (Read 1668 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Urethane finish touch up
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »
Hello all, I have a Warmoth body that needs a little touch up around the back of the neck pocket. It has three holes 2 @ 1/4" and 1 @ 5/16" where I doweled the original 3-hole pattern and I need to drop fill those. According to Warmoth they use urethane as a finish:

Urethane is our primary finishing material though we do use several thin coats of polyester as a base coat to fill the wood grain. The process is first to fill the grain, then the color coat is applied. Finally the top coats are laid down before final sanding and buffing. If the body is dyed, these colors are put on the raw wood prior to the base coat application. There seems to be much controversy about finishing materials and poly seems much maligned… Without sinking into the depths of this debate, let us just say that our finishes seldom exceed twelve thousandths on an inch in thickness. For the lacquer fans, there are others that spray this material though the cost is generally at least double for a very questionable sonic difference.

My question is this, since it is three small holes being repaired, can I use the clear polyurethane that is sold at Home Depot, Ace, etc?? Will there be any kind of bad reaction between the two clears? Is it basically the same material? If I can't use that, where is a good source for a urethane finish? I don't need much so I don't want to buy a large can of it if I can avoid it. Keep in mind that this is on the back of the body and could mostly be covered by a neck plate if needed so it doesn't need to look perfect. Thanks for any info/advice/help you can give.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Urethane finish touch up
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
What they're not telling you is that they are most likely using a catalyzed poly - better in a production environment for many reasons.  Regardless, it's hard to really get poly to stick well to cured poly.  The beauty of nitro is that new nitro will soften/reactivate the old finish and they will have a strong bond.  I might suggest drop filling with CA/Superglue then smooth it out and blend with some wet/dry sand paper starting at maybe 800 grit.  Search the ReRanch board and you get all the info you'll need on this process.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »
Stew Mac also had an article on spot filling with CA glue
http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0174.html

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:37:32 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!!

CA is the only way to go with poly repairs.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!