Author Topic: You Gotta be Kidding!!  (Read 2711 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

mc2NY

• View Profile
Re: You Gotta be Kidding!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »
Wel f*ck....then MY minty matching set of SUNBURST Les Paul Signature Bass and Guitar MUST be worth $50,000!!! They made 1400 Gold and 85 Sunburst 6-strings and only a handful of Sunburst Basses.

FREE SHIPPING to any takers :)

....imagine what a BLACK pair are worth? They made TWO black 6-strings and one bass.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:01:03 PM by mc2NY »

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »
I was offered $5,000.00 for mine a few years back & turned it down..............

The Sunburst pair is "ULTRA RARE"!

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »
Those are some killer instruments you both have!  Way back around 1980 when I lived in North Carolina there was a fantastic band called Brice Street Band.  The guitarist Dick Smith used a LP Sig and it sounded killer!  The other guy used a late 50's Dot Neck 335 and Doug the bassist used a '66 bound/dot Jazz Bass.  I saw them every chance I could. (which wasn't too many times since I was a young broke college kid with no car!)  Here is a pic of his 'burst in action.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:22:20 AM »
Yeah, I LOVE the Les Paul Sig Bass. It's my fave longscale hollowbody.

As far as the 6-string. I used to be a ES-345 guy for decades but once I discovered the Les Paul Sigs my loyalty changed. My pickguard on the 6-string is actually signed by Les Paul.

I actually had a pair of sunburst ones...Seal's guitarist bought my spare but then started hounding me when he heard I have one of the only two black 6-string ones as well. I told him there was no way I would sell it but he kept calling/emailing and jacking up his price ($6,500 last time)...but it is still here :) I got it from the original owner, a former Gibson Kalamazoo longtime employee/luthier who custom ordered it and also had the hardware changed out to gold at the factory...even had them add one of those old Gibson "Custom Made" black plastic plaques between the bridge and tailpiece. He also said he had them do extra coats on the paint when it was painted. The bnding is really yellowed out...look waay cool. Killer guitar.

You don't run across many guys who use them. Besides Jack Casady, I recall the bassist in LIVE had a sunburst bass like mine he used. Jacob Dylan's guitarist also used one for years in the Wallflowers.

That pair of gold ones above is NICE! I think you were wise to turn down $5,000. I've seen clean ones go for more.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:33:21 AM by mc2NY »

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »
I had the bass first, I actually had traded one in rougher shape for this one, and was trying to hunt down a nice guitar. Michael Ward was playing one with John Hiatts band and also with the Wallflowers. The price skyrocketed and I had to pay more than double for the guitar than I did for the bass. The seller said he would jack the price up another $500.00 if I didn't buy it. A friend of mine picked up a sunburst for $600.00 around the same time, mine was $2,000.00 + tax. The pickups are the same for both on the guitar and the bass, but they sound great in all applications.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
Another Sig related item. I was standing around at Joann's Fabrics, waiting for my wife & I see a few guitar pictures for sale. This one caught my eye of a Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul Signature. What are the odds? How many people walking by this know what it is? (Or even care for that matter). Only 85 of these guitars were made aprox 40 years ago and here's a cheap painting print in a fabric store. Only in America!

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »
You need to SELL ME THAT poster!!!! :)

Not only is it a Sunburst Les Paul Sig like I have....."JAM" HAPPEN TO BE MY ACTUAL REAL INITIALS!!!! (I'm sure my parents did it completey by accident, as they weren't musicians.)

Let me know if you ever spot another one.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »
I'll stop in next time I'm in the area. It's a framed picture with glass. They had several others, telecaster & flying V if I recall correctly, but this one caught my eye.........

Coincedence......................... I think NOT!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »

I think I've seen that print at Bed,Bath & Beyond as well.

Beautiful instruments guys!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »
I found this online..........

http://www.wayfair.com/Propac-Images-Guitar-Jam-I-II-Wall-Art-Set-of-2-2708-PPI2973.html

Mine was $29.99 before a 45% off coupon.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »
I suspect someone JAMmy person may be making a purchase in the very near future... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »
I'll buy the twins, split them and sell each for 20,000 bucks, which should give me healthy profit of $ 10,000 on the transaction!!! Earning money made easy.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 05:53:23 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »
A steal now.  :-X
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...