Author Topic: Dear Connecticut...  (Read 45289 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Connecticut...
« Reply #270 on: January 07, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »
at this point in our nation's history i would venture to say that the 'gun problem' is unsolvable. over the past decades i have not heard one idea that may work in the long term. citizens of the usa will simply not give up their guns, legal or not under any circumstances. just my opinion so i won't rehash all the ideas that have come before. i would call this one of those 'you had to be raised here issues' to fully grasp what this is all about.

Right on target.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #271 on: January 07, 2013, 08:35:35 AM »
Agreed to both.  Of course, that doesn't mean that each interest group won't want to paste their favorite solution over the problem and declare victory.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #272 on: January 07, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
I think it would be more helpful to state what might be possible to curb gun violence...or should we just agree with Uwe:

"dead school children once in a while is the price you have to pay for an unadulterated free use of guns under the Second Amendment"

The NRA certainly thinks they have a solution.  I'm glad other "interest groups" are being heard in addition to the one issue gun lobby whose solution is always more guns everywhere with no restrictions.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 07, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »
While looking at articles adout Ted Kaczynski (the unabomber) and how he was involved in the CIA LSD experments in the Sixties I stumbled on this article saying there are a lot of kids in America taking antidepressants like Prozac and Ritalin, and that 6% became psychotic in a recent test.

http://www.counterpunch.org/1999/07/15/ted-k-the-cia-lsd/

Wondering how often antidepressants are prescrided for children, I googled "antidepressants for children" and got some startling results:

http://arizona.newszap.com/csp/mediapool/public/dt.main.ce.Home.cls?name=fTopicPage&fTopicPageId=3652&skip=32346
http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/Stories/2012/Dec18/AntiDepressants.html

"A study done by Cardiff University in Wales concluded that, “… school shootings are almost always carried out by children who are taking antidepressants."

It seems to me that here in America many think all life's problems can be solved by taking the right pills. Does that mentality exist in the non-American countries that do not have these mass shootings?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #274 on: January 07, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »

"A study done by Cardiff University in Wales concluded that, “… school shootings are almost always carried out by children who are taking antidepressants."

It seems to me that here in America many think all life's problems can be solved by taking the right pills. Does that mentality exist in the non-American countries that do not have these mass shootings?

Americans do indeed have a "take a pill to fix it" mentality.  We also do a crappy job of providing actual mental health therapy to those who need it.

But I'd have to know a lot more about the study by Cardiff University to place any faith in the statement cited.  There are tons of ways in which that comment could be inaccurate, misquoted, taken out of context or based on a study which is irrelevant to the US.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2013, 09:24:03 AM »
I've found the reaction to the NRA suggestion very interesting. None of the sturm und drang it's engendered was anywhere to be seen when Bill Clinton suggested the same thing a year after Columbine. The main complaint then was the cost, but certainly not the idea that "more guns" in schools would be a bad or dangerous thing. I'm not advocating either way, I just think it's interesting that the messenger seems to be far more the deciding factor in how people are reacting to this type of policy.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »
Average salary for an assistant principal in NY schools is $97,000 plus benefits.  The bloated bureauracy in NY schools is astounding.  Armed security could be had for a lot less.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2013, 09:39:27 AM »
The conundrum of gun control is that guns can be effective in the hands of law-abiding citizens.  I see both sides of the arguments. 

LOGANVILLE, Ga. — A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday.

The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

But the man eventually found the family.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

..."you’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?"

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »
..."you’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?"

I guess a crowbar can make you feel pretty invincible.  Duh.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »
IMO the changing demographic of the United States makes gun control a can't lose issue for the Democrats.  Women, the young and immigrants are their base as shown by the recent election.  Most of them believe the gun laws can and should be changed as opposed to the GOP's base of old white men and the religious right who don't.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2013, 10:56:32 AM »
IMO the changing demographic of the United States makes gun control a can't lose issue for the Democrats.  Women, the young and immigrants are their base as shown by the recent election.  Most of them believe the gun laws can and should be changed as opposed to the GOP's base of old white men and the religious right who don't.

I don't think so. There's a large contingent of young ex-military people who are against gun law changes regardless of political party. And I don't think for a minute that being in a minority group makes one more receptive to a change in gun laws. I just saw a poll that claimed to show the majority of Americans have a favorable opinion of the NRA. It's not just the GOP's base.

Reinstating the expired assault weapons ban will be a brutal fight. If the administration tries to do more, IMHO it would be disastrous for the Democratic party.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2013, 10:58:42 AM »
I support regulation and control within the confines of the 2nd. amendment.  The new demographics are what they are, and many individuals in those groups are easily manipulated by soundbites and mass media buffoonery.

Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.  - Noam Chomsky

All media exist to invest our lives with artificial perceptions and arbitrary values. - Marshall McLuhan

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »
I support regulation and control within the confines of the 2nd. amendment.  The new demographics are what they are, and many individuals in those groups are easily manipulated by soundbites and mass media buffoonery.

I agree, Bill.  The pivotal question (as you obviously anticipated when you wrote) is defining "...the confines of the 2nd. amendment."  That's the sticking point, especially when connected to the words "regulation and control."

I think there is room and political will for change given the situation; I don't think it will be radical change.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 07, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
I agree, Bill.  The pivotal question (as you obviously anticipated when you wrote) is defining "...the confines of the 2nd. amendment."  That's the sticking point, especially when connected to the words "regulation and control."

I think there is room and political will for change given the situation; I don't think it will be radical change.

I never believed in total unfettered access to all forms of weapons by all manner of citizens.  Somewhere along the line, we need some common sense.  The genie is out of the bottle and we can only control her, not stuff her back in.