Author Topic: I wish we had more former Thunderbird playeresses here as members ...  (Read 4428 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: I wish we had more former Thunderbird playeresses here as members ...
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 07:31:52 AM »
I sure prefer her guitar playing to the endless bar chording up and down the neck so prevalent today. She has drama and taste in her playing and it's not just one hazy blur.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
I sure prefer her guitar playing to the endless bar chording up and down the neck so prevalent today. She has drama and taste in her playing and it's not just one hazy blur.

I saw a couple of her shows before she broke out, and she was not only really good, but she put on a full show for a small crowd.  I've always liked her after that.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 03:06:08 AM »
Let's face it, most women, musical as they may be, don't ever bother to learn lead guitar and stick to strumming rhythm. I always wonder why that is. Is playing single notes in a semblance of melody on a fretboard so inherently male, pelvic-thrusty and penetrating still? Female hand coordination/motoric capabilities are generally superior to those of men, shouldn't there be a whole bunch of Edwina van Halens? May that athletic "faster-louder-more notes"-thing doesn't appeal to them, but then there aren't too many Marcia Knopflers around either. That women generally don't feel attracted to musicall improvisation might be another reason, but then how many male lead guitarists you know and play with get carried away in frenzied inspiration of Jimi Hendrix ilk? I always end up playing with guitarists that need to be coerced into playing longer than 8 bar solos (and not always play it the same).  

With female lead guitar playing being in the sorry state it is quantity-wise, I'm happy for any chick picking a few notes, be it Lita Ford or Bonnie Raitt or that smooth guitar jazz dame whose name escapes me right now ... EDIT: Joyce Cooling!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:37:55 AM by uwe »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 06:47:33 AM »
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 06:48:37 AM »
Let's face it, most women, musical as they may be, don't ever bother to learn lead guitar and stick to strumming rhythm. I always wonder why that is. Is playing single notes in a semblance of melody on a fretboard so inherently male, pelvic-thrusty and penetrating still? Female hand coordination/motoric capabilities are generally superior to those of men, shouldn't there be a whole bunch of Edwina van Halens? May that athletic "faster-louder-more notes"-thing doesn't appeal to them, but then there aren't too many Marcia Knopflers around either. That women generally don't feel attracted to musicall improvisation might be another reason, but then how many male lead guitarists you know and play with get carried away in frenzied inspiration of Jimi Hendrix ilk? I always end up playing with guitarists that need to be coerced into playing longer than 8 bar solos (and not always play it the same).  

With female lead guitar playing being in the sorry state it is quantity-wise, I'm happy for any chick picking a few notes, be it Lita Ford or Bonnie Raitt or that smooth guitar jazz dame whose name escapes me right now ... EDIT: Joyce Cooling!

As a bass player - which I don't think of as a "front" instrument, at least the way I play, I'm not bothered by anyone who feels it unnecessary to take the lead role.  There's a necessary balance to music, and we all have our parts to play (pun intended).

I don't know how the statistics on balance between lead and support musicians works out for women, but there are certainly exceptions - the first who comes to mind is Nancy Wilson (because I'm a Washington guy and they're out of Seattle.)  There are many others in rock, country and blues.  Bonnie Raitt is a notable musician as well, and there are and have been numerous female rock bands.

Not a big deal either way to me, as I listen for the music.  Interesting observation, though.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 07:01:17 AM »

Those ladies can shred.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »
Sure they can, but there is too few of them! Or too many if you think that guitar wanking is bad irrespective of gender.