Author Topic: In this discussion about T-birds on that OTHER forum  (Read 8423 times)

rexdiablo

• View Profile
Re: In this discussion about T-birds on that OTHER forum
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »
FINE! I won't include pics, but I own MANY G&Ls, and don't think any of them are "living room/lounge refined." All of mine are relatively battle scarred though.  To me I can't get away from the MFD pick ups or those old G&L necks.

Also must say I've never owned any Gibson bass, but I'm looking at them now, mostly thanks to this site.  I come from a guitar background, and couldn't ever find a happy place with Gibsons playing-wise. Always loved the looks, just something about my hands made them sound horrid.  Maybe I'll end up with a room full of those next!
Go fast, take chances.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
No no, we WANT to see pics! Post some in the "Other brands" section!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »
Come on, guys, I know going off topic is the rule here, but do we really have to show G&Ls in the Gibson forum?

Hey now, is moving from T-bird comments on that OTHER forum to G&Ls so out of line when certain people will, excuse the pun, slide in anal sex comments and photos of panzers? I think not!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »
You're talking about non-bass topics. Trying to turn a T-Bird topic into a G&L topic in the Gibson forum full of T-Bird fans is inviting the very same comments that rexdiablo objects to. I wouldn't go into the Other basses forum and call G&Ls ugly, but keep posting 'em here and I will!

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Ive tried several G&L basses.All sounded the same to me.preamped to death... :bored:
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »
Rex the devil is perfectly free to post his G&L collection here, I for one would like to see it. It cropped up in the discussion of this thread and just because I'm not excited about their looks does not mean that I can't appreciate a nice collection of them.

Let's not get carried away with brand segregation here and I would not rule out that there are people on this planet who can both appreciate a TBird and a G&L for what they respectively are.

And ole Rex entered the discussion perfectly courteously, he defended his beloved G&Ls, which he is free to do (and I might even learn something from it), and did not go about splurting how crappy Gibson basses are. Now ze pics bitte, Herr Rex! I have a heheart for people who defend uglies! ; - ) (Quite a few Gibson basses aren't beauties either.)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:19:19 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 04:53:35 AM »
Ive tried several G&L basses.All sounded the same to me.preamped to death... :bored:

I'm guessing you're unaware that not all G&Ls have preamps...and that even the ones with them are passive in two of the three switch positions.  Good onboard electronics simply do what you tell them to do, getting a flat response from them should be easy.  I rate vintage G&L pickups as highly as I do 60s TBird pups.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2012, 06:10:55 AM »
After hearing all the nice things I've heard about an SB-1, I would love to play one.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2012, 10:05:12 AM »
I'm guessing you're unaware that not all G&Ls have preamps...and that even the ones with them are passive in two of the three switch positions.  Good onboard electronics simply do what you tell them to do, getting a flat response from them should be easy.  I rate vintage G&L pickups as highly as I do 60s TBird pups.

I've never understood people who judge a bass by whether or not it has an onboard preamp. Everyone uses the preamp section of their amp. Same principle. That's not to say that all onboard preamps sound good, any more than all amp heads sound good, but that's a different subject.

Reminds me of a heated discussion many years ago at the Pit. A certain member was fanatical about getting the "true" sound of his bass. He said he would never have a bass with an active preamp. But he used an external Sadowsky preamp! He got mad at me for asking what the difference would be if he installed it internally. I wound up suggesting that he duct tape the external preamp box to his bass so he could have the best of both worlds.  ;D

Same guy once posted about how the Sunn 4x10 cabs that came out about 10 years ago were designed all wrong because their frequency response wasn't perfectly flat. So he tore his apart and rebuilt it to more or less flat specs. Of course they were designed to sound good, not to be flat.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »
How do you rebuild a 4x10 cab to be flat anyway?

LOL
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »
Come on, guys, I know going off topic is the rule here, but do we really have to show G&Ls in the Gibson forum?

Do they make Groucho glasses for basses?  That could disguise them a bit....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
I have had two Climax basses,one L2000,and 1 L1000.I loved the way they played but the tone was just too processed.Especially the Climax model as its pretty much a poor mans stingray.Like the stingrays,the G&L models I played just didn't have that growl.For lack of a better explanation lol.I have had 6 pre ernie stingers.All where killer players.The tone got old however and there wasn't any changing it.The G&L's sounded a lot like the Musicmans.
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »
I resolved the electronics issue with my RD by alternative means... unfortunately still in the shed with the Demetriou, the wrecked V, my spare Jazz neck... hmm... maybe I could start on my SG...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 07:16:56 AM »
Reminds me of a heated discussion many years ago at the Pit. A certain member was fanatical about getting the "true" sound of his bass. He said he would never have a bass with an active preamp. But he used an external Sadowsky preamp! He got mad at me for asking what the difference would be if he installed it internally. I wound up suggesting that he duct tape the external preamp box to his bass so he could have the best of both worlds.  ;D

WAY TOO FUNNY!!!  If idiots have no other useful function, they are always good for entertainment... 8)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 09:00:27 AM »
How do you rebuild a 4x10 cab to be flat anyway?

LOL

He used the Thiele/Small parameters for the stock speakers to design what he thought would be a flat response, then rebuilt the cab it to that. Things don't work like that in the real world. Even if he could have, he was clueless. The purpose of a bass cab isn't to reproduce the exact signal coming from the amp with no deviation. That's the goal of reproduction equipment, not music-making equipment.

WAY TOO FUNNY!!!  If idiots have no other useful function, they are always good for entertainment... 8)

Yep, and it was even funnier that he got so incensed about it.