Author Topic: Redesigned Les Paul OSB  (Read 6967 times)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: Redesigned Les Paul OSB
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 05:08:32 PM »
Really?  Now I'm confused and I apologise.  I thought the tapered headstock was the original and the squarer one the newer design.  Irrespective, still prefer the squarer one, but not a fan of the bass overall.
P

That is the way I took it too. When the original post was new the one with the squarer headstock was on order, not in stock, so I assume it is the new one. And it is the same as the Les Paul guitars.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
Himmel, macht doch nicht alles so kompliziert!!! The orignal oversize LPs came out with a tapered headstock in the style of the LP  headstocks in the nineties. I have one so I know.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 06:36:39 AM »
We'll see how they look if the HOG can get one in for me.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 05:20:49 PM »
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Gibson so I can keep my Musicians Friend card active...

Can anyone compare the pickup placement to that of a T-bird?  I'm guessing it's pretty close to the same - but from some pics it looks like maybe the neck pup is closer tot he bridge.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 07:10:31 PM »
Here are a few shots of the first version & the T-Bird........
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 07:21:58 AM »
With the exception of the Limited Run Faded LPs (which basically closed the production of single cut long scale LP basses as started in the nineties before the reintroduction via the oversize models a few years ago), which had the front pups a bit close to the neck TBird style, and the BFG LPs which had three pups, practically forcing one of them to go right behind the neck, LP basses in general have their front pup closer to the bridge than a modern TBird (which in turn has its front pup closer to the neck than any TBird predecessor in the sixties or seventies), it explains why the LPs are more agressive sounding than any TBird, a bit of P Bass "getting heard" in there. And that was a concscious move as there are LP prototypes from the early nineties around that have the front pup moved forward (Phil Jones offered some of them) so Gibson was obviously experimenting with the position. No worries though that an LP (even a non-oversized one) would offer less bass than a TBird, the opposite is true, likely due to the LPs thicker bodies and sturdier necks.

Generally, any single cut LP long scale bass I have played has more of an "axe quality" to it and is "grindier" than any Rev TB I've played. The Rev TBirds are imposing basses for their sheer size and looks but there is always something a bit more benign/docile/graceful (or musical if you want to call it that) to them, not that edge an angry P Bass or Ric 4001/3 can have, TBirds don't sound nasty and edgy. It probably mostly has to do with the thin neck which, eg, the more aggressive sounding Non Rev TBs don't have. And a long scale  LP Bass is even more agressive than a Non Rev already is.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 08:00:11 AM »
Also the LP has a guitar size pickup as opposed to the T-bird's more soap bar shape. That must play a part as well.
Damn it, now I've got myself reconsidering the placement of the pickup in my custom build. (See projects and mods)
 I always figured the original designed T-bird pickup with it's alnico magnets and thinner construction works better closer to the neck than the PAF size ceramic mag TB+.
Would a single T-bird pickup in sixties position be to bassy in a flat top single cut LP shape? I still have time to decide.
Opinions wanted.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Gibson so I can keep my Musicians Friend card active...

Well, then, you have to buy something!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »
Would a single T-bird pickup in sixties position be to bassy in a flat top single cut LP shape? I still have time to decide.
Opinions wanted.

NO SUCH THING.

TBird pups aren't particularly bassey to begin with (not like a mudbucker, or even a LoZ LP pup, both of which came in exterem neck position, though granted folks complain about the mud).  You can always take the bass down a tad at the amp (or pedal, or have an onboard passive bass rolloff tone knob in addition to the typical treble tone).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »
Right on GG. I was thinking along those lines as well.
Stiles72, you still thinking about a new Gibson? Maybe consider a Fender Starcaster. They're cheaper and are practically a Gibson anyway with those two Seth Lover Telecaster buckers, and you have to love witch hat knobs. No wonder Scott had to buy one, in Cherry burst of course.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
Yes - sure am. Also considering the 335 or the Midtown (in Cherry of course). I'd go with another Bird but I'm trying to branch out a bit more. The LP just seems like it would be a bit more practical for my playing style/needs.