Author Topic: Epiphone EB3 in Pelham Blue  (Read 13564 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Epiphone EB3 in Pelham Blue
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »
I saw one of these at the GC today when I stopped in.  It really looks cheesy.  As everyone has been saying, it just looks bad.  Not faded, not reliced.  Just cheap and cheesy.  Not to mention, this bass weighs a TON.  I'm lowering my Epi Freak Flag in memory of better basses gone by.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
Same here. The GC in Tempe has/had one on the wall. The sides look like they soaked up almost all paint that had been applied, but not soaked in evenly. Looked very cheap and amateurish.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »
Man, I will heed these warnings.  Earlier today, while looking through the MF site, I was actually thinking seriously of getting one.  Not now. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »
It sucks because Pelham Blue looks soooooo good on guitars/basses. Wish they hadn't taken the cheap way out on these finishes.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »
It sucks because Pelham Blue looks soooooo good on guitars/basses. Wish they hadn't taken the cheap way out on these finishes.

I definitely agree. Pelham blue is probably my favorite.  It's really unacceptable how they've screwed this up with their el cheapo approach.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »
 I saw one at GC the other day also, it looked plain old bad.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2013, 02:29:03 PM »
One of the cool things about the Sweetwater website is that they often have pictures of their actual stock. No EB-3s, alas, but you can see some of the others that don't look that bad. The "sweet-mod Les Paul" looks like the much better version of the finish, while you can see the crappier one on the Firebird studio (at least at the time I am posting this):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=pelham+blue

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2013, 06:15:27 AM »
I love my G-3 but do wish the finish was gloss rather than satin though it works better on the burst than the black one. The black ones are screaming for gloss finish. All black Rippers, G-3s, RDs, etc look awesome in black.

I may be the odd man out here but I'm not a huge fan of Pelham Blue. It's okay and looks better on some instruments than others but I'd go for something else given a choice. In fact I switched my NR order from Pelham Blue to Burst and am absolutely glad I did.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2013, 09:30:55 AM »
I liked Pelham Blue in the 60s, it was an interesting change of pace. These recent ones in satin finish don't look good to me.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2013, 06:27:21 PM »
Mostly guitar stats but #24 addresses pelham blue :)
http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/gibson-sg-facts-0408-2011.aspx
Feel free to move as needed Boss! ;)