Author Topic: Trains in snow  (Read 5308 times)

Bargeon

• View Profile
Trains in snow
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »
I've always thought they presented a powerful image. Cold steel. I've tried to capture it but with little success. Anyone else?

Dyslexics untie!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Trains in snow
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 01:35:16 AM »
If Fräulein Rommel sees this, the snow will get all spotty in excitement!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 04:00:58 AM »
Not mine, but amazing.

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 05:52:34 AM »
Dang it! I found myslef counting 4 as the engine approached.
Dyslexics untie!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 07:47:16 AM »
I have GOT to get over to the west side and ride that train!!  Been putting it off for years.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »
I've always thought they presented a powerful image. Cold steel. I've tried to capture it but with little success. Anyone else?

Each of these are pretty interesting, not much snow here in Seattle and I don't get to railfan as much as I used to.... #5779 is a Canadian National SD-70m, IIRC 3,500hp, weighs about 200 tons all by itself - Lots of steel in trains!

The car with the load warning carries wrapped, finished lumber products, the warning is to load the car evenly from both sides or the top heavy weight will pull the car over.

Interesting here, the gondola is lettered for the (N)ew (Y)ork (C)entral, a railroad the was merged out of exsistance in the late '60s as part of what became the ill-fated Penn Central. The PC went bankrupt by the mid '70s and the U.S. gov't stepped in and took it over, renaming it Conrail. Conrail became sucessful and portions of it (including equipment) were later sold to various railroads, including Norfolk Southern, CSX and CN as well as many smaller regional short lines. For accounting purposes many freight cars were re stenciled back to their original owners, thus the NYC gon still being around more than 40 years after it's demise

And here you have two pieces of ex- (P)ennsylvania (R)ail (R)oad maintainence of way equipment, to the left, a Russel single track wedge plow, this would get pushed ahead of locomotives to clear snow, especially useful for higher drifts. To the right is a Jordan Spreader, also used for snow, but commonly to maintain to ballast roadbed. Note the hydraulic arms, they can be arranged to shape the ballast and clear for better drainage. These two are painted in the PRR's yellow but re stenciled CR for Conrail, as it was part of the PC merger as well. 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 09:18:41 AM »
WOW!  I'm impressed.  The only thing I know about the railroads comes from my old microfiche days.  We used to process data for Evans Transportation, who managed the leasing of railroad cars, and the reports we converted to microfiche was a listing of the cars, who was leasing them, and the location of the car.  Pretty big enterprise, from what I could see.

Mark - I'm going to have to talk to you about building my Weimer Grist Mill HO model one of these days.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »
Dr Zhivago has some great trains in snow scenes -

How about a Lego version?

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »
Actually, it was the cinamatography in the all-too-brief freightyard scenes in the movie "Run away train" that made me want to take the shots.  Dunno who the rail buff was that shot that but he got the feeling.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089941/
Dyslexics untie!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:20:37 AM »
"Dr Zhivago has some great trains in snow scenes ..."

All of them with fake snow and filmed in Spain!!!  :mrgreen: Doesn't change the fact that it was a great movie, neither glorifying nor villifying the Russian Revolution.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
Actually, it was the cinamatography in the all-too-brief freightyard scenes in the movie "Run away train" that made me want to take the shots.  Dunno who the rail buff was that shot that but he got the feeling.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089941/

I recall seeing this movie a couple times when it came...........Lots of techical inaccuracy - typical for most train movies.

Where did you shoot the CN stuff?

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »
"Dr Zhivago has some great trains in snow scenes ..."

All of them with fake snow and filmed in Spain!!!  :mrgreen: Doesn't change the fact that it was a great movie, neither glorifying nor villifying the Russian Revolution.

But it did glorify Julie Christie's lips ...

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
I shot the trains in the old DeWitt yard, what's left of it, outside of Syracuse in Central NY.  I believe it was a pretty major hub for the New York Central in it's day. I knew a guy who was a breakman on the line a long time ago. Talked about riding the trains in the frigid NY winters.

Hey Mark: Lips?  Err, yeah.. . .  those are distractions, make my shots go off early :)
Dyslexics untie!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:16:43 AM »
But it did glorify Julie Christie's lips ...

Lara's lips make even communism attractive me thinks. Gives whole new meaning to the term "collective ownership of the means of production".