Poll

Which Entwistle bass rig would you most expect or want to see while attending a WHO Tribute Show?

Fender P Bass & Hiwatt Rig
19 (33.9%)
Fenderbird & Sunn Coliseum Rig
27 (48.2%)
Alembic Explorer/Spyder Bass & Sunn Cabs
9 (16.1%)
Warwick/Modulus Buzzard & SansAmp PSA-1 / Yamaha SPX1000 / Trace Elliot MP11 - HI/LOW Rig
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: John Entwistle Bass Rigs!  (Read 34335 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Re: John Entwistle Bass Rigs!
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »
He used a Fender P bass & Hiwatt's at the Young Vic... Check out the picture in insert that comes with the CD... page 10.

The same pic is also in the book "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere - The Complete Chronicle of The Who 1958-1978" on page 198. This reads on page 190 (in the chapter from year 1970):

Sunday, 15 November

The date of the Who's first Lifehouse rehearsal at the Young Vic Theatre, Waterloo, South East London, as documented in Mike Shaw's (Track Records) diary. Roger's cousin, Graham Hughes, was on hand to take photographs (some of which appear on pages 197-198). In the original edition of this book, these were erroneously attributed to a Young Vic performance on 5 May 1971 (from a misleading date appearing on Hughes' original contact sheets).

So the date on the cd booklet is also wrong. The pic with the Precision is from 1970. Unless I'm proven wrong, the Young Vic gig featured on the deluxe edition of "Who's Next" has John playing a Thunderbird bass through a Hiwatt rig.  8)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 12:27:49 PM by Pekka »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2010, 02:05:42 PM »
Young whippersnapper... ;D

Big Six O - congrats Al...! I'm -9 years +2 days...
Kenny I missed your B-day :sad: What a dumbass. Well any how here it is.................... Happy Birthday Kenny !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2010, 03:43:05 PM »
... at our age, it's acceptable (beneficial...?) to be forgetful... ;D
Cheer's Bro... :toast:

Oh yeah... I got a Jazz... sort of... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »
Hapy Birthday, indeed!  Sorry for not passing back the salutation earlier... :bored:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2012, 12:26:26 AM »
When did Entwistle start to use the Sunn Coliseum bass and lead amps? Was it when they started to tour the "Who's Next" album or did he use them already in the Glyn Johns sessions in April and May 1971? The Young Vic shows had him still using the Hiwatt stacks but with the Thunderbird already and the Thunderbird is on the album too (if not on every track but at least on the majority).

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »
GREAT Who tribute band!

Here are a couple Who/SUNN pics -- one you may not have seen from Long Island....look like 200S bass rigs, probably circa 1968? The Who then used SUNN Orion Series rigs (with the striped grill cloth) for the Magic Bus album but blew up a shitload of them due to a design flaw in the amps...actually caused SUNN to recall the Orion Series and scrap them, which is why they are so crazy rare!

I owned Townshend's "British Lead" prototype head...sold it last year to a guitar friend in Germany whose band (Color Haze) uses all SUNN gear.

I'm also a big SUNN fan and longtime user...although more toward the Noel Redding/Felix Pappalardi rigs:

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
I'm blown away by the fact you actually own 2/3 of Noel's Rigs!!! (And later they were Felix's!!)

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
I think Papalardi only used the smaller 200S cabs/heads and not 2000S cabs like Redding used toward the end of his JHE days, as pictured live. I know Mountain had at least one of Noel's 2000S heads though and a number of Redding's 200S cabs. I don't know if Papalardi used that 2000S head or if West did, since it is close to the same head as Leslie's prototype "Coliseum Model T" that I had.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2012, 10:49:15 AM »
did those sunns actually belong to noel and felix.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2012, 11:04:25 AM »
Some were Noel's, not Felix's....but that is one of my old Hagstrom 8-strings in the photo (not Noel's) that I used a lot in the early 80s that happened to look just like the one Hendrix and Redding used. Also my sunburst Fender up on top...just to "Noel up the pic."

For any real SUNN freaks....if you look close...the top two cabs in the stack in this shot are actually 200S cabs, not the larger 2000S cabs like on the bottom. The cabs are heavy monsters and I set this stack up myself for the shot....so I cheated and only put the lighter 200S cabs on top. I actually DO have the other 2000S cabs and need to re-shoot ti correctly at some point...with a roadie to help :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:12:06 AM by mc2NY »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »
I hope you know a good chiropractor... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...