Author Topic: Quite a collection for sale on TB  (Read 7902 times)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
Re: Quite a collection for sale on TB
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 07:33:45 PM »
the pickups look drunk on that one though im sure its a rigorously scientific placement.
Louder bass!.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »
the pickups look drunk on that one though im sure its a rigorously scientific placement.

I'll bet it captures every tonal nuance known to mankind.   ;)

Not really making fun of it, though. I've seen a lot uglier boutique basses than the Ritters.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 05:32:59 AM »
I find those slanted pups on the Ritters irritating too, sometimes they are not even parallel. I know, form follows function and there is a reason for slanting them, but my eyes don't agree with it even if my ears might. Somehow, that was best done on a Victory where it was mirrored by the shape of the pickguard. I liked it there and pretty much nowhere else. Of course, most boutique basses shun pick guards.

I've never played a Ritter - visually they always remind me of the guitars Prince would play in the eighties. Not my cup of tea at all. Artsy-fartsy. Not even really German design too, because they tend to be overdecorated and -embellished, the shapes too playful. He must be a Renaissance Italian in truth.

I like it if a bass retains visually something "industrial", I find the raised center block of a TBird Rev (though that came about by accident to cut the weight) is such an "industrialist" feature.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 06:18:07 AM »
Not even really German design too, because they tend to be overdecorated and -embellished, the shapes too playful.

German high baroque architecture.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 06:52:18 AM »
 :mrgreen: Did I tell you how baroque style leaves me cold? Very much - with the exception of Bavaria maybe - a protestant thing as regards churches (look at all those usually dead-serious, frugal protestants shunning all earthly delights and then going overboard in decorating their churches, tsk, tsk, tsk ....) in Germany, Catholic churches tend(ed) to be Gothic or Roman style unless they are modernistic. Agnostic as I am, I visit churches (baroque, Roman, Gothic or other) a lot for the historical and cultural influence ingrained in them.

I should have been more precise, I meant German industrial design, which often enough doesn't look Ritter'ish at all:

I just saw one of those beasts in real life in the German Tank Museum in Munster.  

Basically, it is a stationary gun platform and not a tank anymore. Its horespower is outright meek: 700 hp at a combat weight of 70 tons, a bicycle does better in ratio! It guzzled 1,000 liters of gasoline (no diesel tanks with the German Reich as gasoline could be extracted from coal, but oil couldn't) at a 100 km distance and that wasn't even cross-country, no wonder so many of them were left by the wayside in the Battle of the Bulge having run out of gas before reaching the desired US petrol supplies. Sure, no Allied tank or anti-tank gun could crack the Kingtiger's armored front, but this monster was as far removed from Blitzkrieg tactics as a North Sea oil platform is from a speed boat. Impressive sight seeing it in real nontheless. And I always liked the edgy angular styling (for ballistic reasons after the predecessor Tiger I had failed in that department due to its rounded and vertical outside).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:11:57 AM by uwe »

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 07:19:52 AM »
I should have been more precise, I meant German industrial design, which often enough doesn't look Ritter'ish at all:

Reminds me more of Peavey's tank.

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 07:51:56 AM »
"now give me a little bass with those 88's".

taken from the capitals song, "cool jerk".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JstR-84miaY&feature=fvst
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:42:37 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 08:01:21 AM »
Yes, the T-40 not only has a name like a tank ...  No German armored shell could have pierced the bridge of a T-40!!! :mrgreen:

Lovely bass, I really like mine. And those electronics that allow you to dial from single coil to humbucking are outright smart and pretty much one-of-a-kind. The "Un-Ritter" (which are mostly active, another thing that bugs me about them).

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »

That ceiling is both high and Barque  ;)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 11:49:10 AM »

I'd love to have sex there!

Can you imagine the acoustics  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »

I'd love to have sex there!

Can you imagine the acoustics  ;)

We will now refrain from any comments about organs in cathedrals...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »
We will now refrain from any comments about organs in cathedrals...

[J.S.] "Bach had 20 children because his organ didn't have any stops." -- Leo Kottke

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 01:33:55 PM »
Re: German High Baroque.  They used to show us that crap in Architectural History class in the mid 60s as an example of what not to do.  It's stuck with me ever since.  Kitsch is a German word, yah?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
Indeed it is. And Ritters are best described as baroque. The one thing you can say about baroque as an art form and style is that it truly represented its preposterous time. And the one positive thing: It was overdecorated but did not try to dwarf the viewer like many Greek, Roman and Gothic architecture did. It was decadent, but less totalitarian. It attempted to look cute and entertain the eye, maybe blind with bling, but not tower over you.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 05:15:32 AM »
I just saw one of those beasts in real life in the German Tank Museum in Munster.  

It guzzled 1,000 liters of gasoline (no diesel tanks with the German Reich as gasoline could be extracted from coal, but oil couldn't)

Diesel fuel was available to the Germans but they chose to divert almost all, if not all, of it to the Navy for use in the U-boats.

I wanted to go to that museum when I was in Germany earlier this year but it's closed from November until March or so. I wanted to see that Tiger!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.