Author Topic: Wild fire tainted water ruins beer?  (Read 6633 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Wild fire tainted water ruins beer?
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:38:58 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/08/30/maker-fat-tire-beer-says-poudre-river-water-tainted-by-high-park-wildfire/?intcmp=features

Doesn't say exactly what is making the water bad - gerneral run off from the forest fire, fire retardent, residential run off from destroyed homes?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:44:22 PM by Lightyear »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Wild fire tainted water ruins beer?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »
My son is an aspiring brew meister.  What I've learned from him is that the pH balance of the water is key to quality beer.  Companies spend a great deal of money setting up the water supply and treatment before they ever start brewing.

Aside from the obvious, it's really the most subtle and lasting changes in the water that they are worried about.  I should ask him about how his company is looking at this.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
The Japanese have spent an horrific amount on trying to copy whisky stills, transporting Scottish spring water, et al, and failed to perfect it...

I have a date with a fresh bottle from my preferred distillery on Monday, courtesy of a golfing buddy...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »
I've never been able to figure out why Mexico, the place with the most F'd up water, makes some of the best beer on the planet. ???
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 09:32:31 AM »
This is very much a concern for the local brewers (there are many of them, Fat tire and Budweiser being the most widely distributed) and for the town.

The hillsides above the reservoir areas were left not only burned and bare, but the surface was baked, promoting runoff.  The Poudre River has run black at times, and left marks on the banks that look like black bands of soot.  Stepping into the water has almost been like stepping into a vat of black dye.

The water can be filtered, and I'm sure that Bud has such a device - but the million dollar price tag for the filter is something Fat Tire doesn't want to front - so they are working to tap alternate sources.

As a consumer of a variety of fantastic local craft brews, I'm glad they're doing it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:39:30 AM »
My son responded to my text, saying that Great Divide isn't concerned.  My guess would be that Fat Tire depends too much on nature, and didn't consider a contingency plan for changing source water.  This just reinforces what my son told me earlier - companies spend a great deal of money ensuring and controlling the quality and nature of the water supply long before they start brewing.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 09:47:39 AM »
Also note that Denver gets its water from different sources than Fort Collins does.  I doubt they have any reason to be concerned in Denver.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
I've never been able to figure out why Mexico, the place with the most F'd up water, makes some of the best beer on the planet. ???
Rick

What's this great Mexican beer you speak of?  ???

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »
certainly not dos xx. :P

pilgrim, you need to go buy some real guinness stout. the beer you can chew and my favorite. ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 03:19:38 PM »
certainly not dos xx. :P

pilgrim, you need to go buy some real guinness stout. the beer you can chew and my favorite. ;D

Dos xx, Corona, Pacifico, Del Sol and there are a couple others but the mind sometimes forgets this stuff ;D
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
... And there was me thinking London Pride was brewed in Chiswick W4...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »
I used to enjoy a Dos Equis Amber when I went out for Mexican food.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 03:17:21 PM »
I used to enjoy a Dos Equis Amber when I went out for Mexican food.

That is a good beer.

But around here one usually has anywhere from 5-40 microbrews to choose from. Around the corner from my office is the Mayor of Oldtown, where they carry 100+ beers and rotate them all the time.  http://www.themayorofoldtown.com/

Here's a shot of the beer list for one day:

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 06:14:53 AM »
i must disagree about dos xx. it is easily the worst beer i have ever tasted. your results already vary you contrarians. :)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 06:18:50 AM »
i must disagree about dos xx. it is easily the worst beer i have ever tasted. your results already vary you contrarians. :)

You have apparently never tried Rhinelander beer.  Or Sam Adams Triple Bock.   :mrgreen: